Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Thoughts

Yes exactly. It would be very easy to overplay your hand doing anything else and end up with some very hard issues like getting raised on the turn with all rags on the board.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hard issues like getting raised on the turn with all rags on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do not believe this issue would be a hard one.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I chose to cap because of the dead money of the VLP

[/ QUOTE ]

vlp would be considered dead money if he were to fold. given he already called the additional bets your logic of vlp being dead money is incorrect, unless he folds to the cap which is highly unlikely.

or is my understanding of dead money incorrect?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:54 AM

> After thinking about this hand for a couple weeks I think
> the best line may be to just call the 3 bet and check
> raise favorable flops. What do you guys think?

One problem with a checkraise on the flop is that it may keep VLP involved in the hand to your detriment. You check, TP bets, VLP calls one small bet in a big pot, you raise, everyone calls. You lead on the turn, and if you're raised by TP, you're probably beaten. If he can't beat you, he calls, and again VLP gets a cheap draw against you.

Obviously, if VLP has any sort of decent draw, he's in for the long haul. However, he might fold e.g. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for two bets (plus the possibility of more to come) on a flop of T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . It is just crucial to knock that hand type out of the pot if possible. Not only would VLP easily have the odds to call a bet with that hand (he probably has the implied odds to call two bets if he believes that there will be no more betting on the flop) so his call costs you money, but if he improves on the turn by pairing or picking up a straight or flush draw, his turn call puts a further dent in your EV.

How about calling preflop and leading at a rags flop with the intention of 3betting? TP will almost certainly raise the flop even with AK, so this plan justs costs you an extra small bet in the interest of pressuring the limper.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Tough spot against a tough player

DrG,

I'm not real fond of capping with the intention of auto-betting the flop. Given the size of the pot and the fact that there's a weak third player (who will help build the pot) I can't see TP folding any flop. Given your aggressive preflop play TP will most likely just call the flop if it's a favorable one for his hand (planning to check-raise a later street). By your preflop and flop actions you have committed two more small bets, have little chance to improve, and probably still don't know where you are at.

There is a rule of thumb that I like to use in situations like this. Generally speaking you make a lot more money playing against poor opponents than good ones. Therefore I try to give a minimum of action to players who are at least as good as I am unless I believe that I have a significant advantage. Given the conditions presented for this hand I don't think that the hero has that edge.

-- Manzanita
Old 10-29-2004, 06:49 PM

Default This smells like AK.

The tough player wants to trap in the loose player and hopes you are raising with AJ or AQ to try and isolate the weak player.
He wants this pot 3 handed IMHO.

If you call here you are almost screaming you cannot beat AK.
I like the pre-flop cap as it hides your hand.
Would you cap with AA or KK, the two hands the good player fears, of course.

I think there is a good chance that you have the best hand here.

The reason he has called with JJ and AQs is exactly the reason you don`t want to play it like that for deception.

D.