Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Skipping a Limit

A lot of the skills you mention are ones I'm already accustomed to, but I'm sure I could deal with more repetition of it.

Rob
Old 10-25-2004, 08:34 PM

I only logged about 12k hands at 1/2 and I was averaging 4+BB/100. I don't know how much I actually learned, but I did become more comfortable with different textured games. I can only speak from experience when I say that the subtle change in my game was worth the short stop I made in 1/2 for a couple of weeks.

Ajax
Old 10-25-2004, 08:50 PM

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the solid advice.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:12 PM

That's what we're here for. I look forward to hearing about your progress as 1/2 - both from a money-making standpoint and as a student of the game.

Ajax
Old 10-25-2004, 10:02 PM

If you can handle the losses you can move directly to 2/4.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:26 PM

Ack!!! Conflicted. A Poo-Bah tells me the opposite of everyone else. Now what?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:41 PM

what's the hurry? you can play 1/2 for 1K hands if you want. try to play at least once or twice during the day to see its potential though. if you play on the weekend, it will probably just look like .50/1.00.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:57 PM

I haven't read what the other has to say, and just because I'm a Poo-Bah (omg, I've finally reach Poo-Bah!") it doesn't mean I have the slightest idea what's right.

I can tell you what I do know though.
About 6 months ago the Party 1/2 appeared to be tighter than the 2/4, at least when I tried it out. So I kind of jumped that limit. Recently a friend moved up from .5/1 to 1/2 and then shortly after to 2/4. His impression was that they don't chase as much at the 2/4. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I do know that just about anyone that isn't totally out of control can beat the Party 2/4.

So, once again. If you do think about winnings and losses in terms of BB, if you have the BR required and isn't afraid to move down if you get unlucky, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to skip 1/2. I'm not sure I would recommend jumping limits after 2/4 though, but it can be done, no doubt about that.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently a friend moved up from .5/1 to 1/2 and then shortly after to 2/4. His impression was that they don't chase as much at the 2/4. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I do know that just about anyone that isn't totally out of control can beat the Party 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% true. The games aren't that bad at 1/2, but they are tighter and people just don't like to pay you off as much as they did at .5/1.

I spent about 4k hands at 1/2 before taking a shot at 2/4. I did fine in those hands, but it wasn't that juicy and I kept hearing everyone talk about how good 2/4 is. Well, for the most part, they're right.

As others have said here, there are things to be learned at 1/2. Most important for me was table selection. Spend some time scouting decent tables, and if you sit at one that's tight feel free to get up and find a new one. btspider also listed a number of skills that can be cheaply worked on at 1/2.

If you've got the br and really want to give it a shot, go for it. You can learn all the things we're talking about here at 2/4, it will just be more expensive. And don't hesitate to drop back down if you go on a bad streak early.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:49 AM

table selection at 2/4 is much easier than 1/2 though. it usually seems like most of the action tables at 1/2 are the shorthanded ones. at peak hours, there are a good number of fishy tables at 1/2, but during off-peak hrs, they can get rather rocky.