Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Bellagio 4/8 AA

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I’d look to check-call the flop with the intention of a turn c/r

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this play after 3-betting pre-flop and first to act. Too many things can go wrong.

1. it gets checked through.
2. someone in EP bets.

The way hero played the hand worked out best.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 4/8 AA

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is huge from the flop on so you have got to adjust your strategy. Everything from the flop on is miserable poker.

With 6 players in for three bets PF there are 18 SB in the pot when the flop hits the table. Keep in mind that you make your money when your opponents make a mistake so leading out cannot be correct - even a two outer will correctly call a single bet. That said, once the action reaches the button there are 23 SB in the pot and his raise makes it 25 SB. Even with your 3-bet from the Small Blind, any opponent with as little three outs (and probably 2 outs with implied odds) will still correctly call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you make money when they make mistakes...why not three bet it in the hopes that they will fold potential draws or other things incorrectly? Also, isn't it better to give them 10-1 odds rather than infinite odds?
Old 10-25-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Related question

Felson,

Your situation is ideal for the turn c/r. However, I did go back an find an example to illustrate the point - Pg 163 to 165 of SSH.

I maintain that all steets of this hand are misplayed, flop on.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:33 PM

For your play to work, I have to check the flop and turn knowing that somebody in LP is going to bet the turn. What makes you think this will happen?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Results

I checked the river, button instantly bet, I groaned and called, and he showed KK. I tabled my hand. Another player moaned, "that guy only plays the nuts." It took the dealer three pushes to deliver me the pot.

I was very happy to win the pot. But mostly I was unhappy with the button for not three-betting preflop so I could cap. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2004, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Felson,

Your situation is ideal for the turn c/r. However, I did go back an find an example to illustrate the point - Pg 163 to 165 of SSH.

I maintain that all steets of this hand are misplayed, flop on.

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to take a look at the relative position of raisers and likely flop betters on this hand. UTG raised preflop and you 3-bet; if you check, UTG is likely to bet this flop, and all you'll be doing is trapping the field, not limiting it.

Betting and hoping for a raise from UTG is a better line here, IMO. If you knew Button would bet/raise (if he had 3-bet preflop), check/call flop, check/raise turn, would be more applicable.

Rob