Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Sad story out of Boston

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Destruction of other peoples' property shows that you don't care about anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I can't believe someone from LA of all places would smile at the thought of rioting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I'm desensitized because we've had so much of it over the years. I don't know. What I do know is, destruction can be fun. How else do you explain Nascar?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The whole idea of rioting and death over a ball game makes you smile?

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea of rioting over a ball game makes me smile. Death, well, death doesn't make me smile...but neither does it get me all in an uproar. People die every day, lots of them. This was just one more.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 01:15 PM

I felt bad about this when I first heard but it really hit today when I saw the pics that were published in the newspaper of the poor girl laying on the ground. A terrible tragedy for her family and loved ones.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:59 PM

Am I supposed to get emotionally involved every time a stranger dies? I'm sorry, but I just don't have that in me. I don't think it makes me a terrible person.

Yes, on an individual level, it's a tragedy when someone dies. It's a terrible thing for that person's friends and family. But so many people die every day, every hour, every minute...this woman's death made the news, but that doesn't make it any more significant than the thousands of other deaths that occurred the same day, and it doesn't make me care about her any more than some other random stranger who flew through a windshield in Idaho.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:01 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 04:02 PM

Cold
Old 10-22-2004, 04:06 PM

I don't think he sees the difference between a fluke car accident and police using "Non-lethal" means to break up a riot which should have never occured.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:17 PM

I don't mean to come off sounding like a raving lunatic or anything, this is just an issue that's personal for me.

My point is, most people who say they care when a random stranger dies, don't really care. If you care, what are you going to do to help? If the answer is nothing, then you DON'T care. You only tell yourself that you do so you can feel better, because you think you SHOULD care.

I don't pretend. That's all I'm saying.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is, most people who say they care when a random stranger dies, don't really care.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is just sad that a joyous celebration got out of hand and somone died in the middle of the ensuing riot. Its like the most extreme high and then the extreme low, all in a matter of minutes, thats whats sad.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:21 PM

I agree that what the police did was terrible, and whoever is responsible should certainly be punished. My point wasn't really about what caused the death, because I don't think it's right to say that one young woman's death is more of a tragedy than another's, just because of how it occurred. The family of the woman killed in Boston doesn't suffer any more than the family of some other woman who dies in a car accident.