Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Strategy Advice on New Poker Variant

this game reminds me of one I played in high school called booray or something (sure i butchered the spelling). It plays like five card draw, but you also deal up 3 cards in the middle of the table, and those three cards are wild (A23 in the middle would mean all aces, 2's and 3's were wild, plus the joker). I swear if you didn't have four of a kind or even FIVE of a kind you were going to lose. It was the most insane game.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM

There is always a winning strategy available as long as you can overcome the rake (obviously in a no-rake game this is easy).

You seem to have started to get a handle on the concepts of winning the game, just go by the advice we all gave in this thread, expand on it, read your theory of poker again, etc etc.

you'll get there.

al
Old 10-26-2004, 03:58 PM

What are the blinds and/or ante? Is it played declare or cards-speak for the hi/lo? How are the stud rounds dealt? Do players simultaneously declare their intention to take a card, or does it rotate clockwise from the dealer, with the dealer making his decision to take a card after he sees what everyone else has done? If the latter is the case the dealer has a big advantage and if you never call the game you put yourself at a disadvangtage.

I think the best thing to do is when you have a spare few hours just deal out a bunch of hands face up. Try and predict which hands will win at the showdown. Think about what you would do if you were each player and how that fits in with what the other players actually have. You might discover that you are letting players draw too cheaply or folding too often when you have pot odds to continue or some other mistake.

Paul
Old 10-26-2004, 09:39 PM

The ante is $1 per lap, so very, very small. It's played cards speak, A-5 for low. Dealer will ask each player in turn if they are buying a card, once they are all paid for then they get dealt. The price of the cards vs. the size of the bets encourages everyone to take a card at any opportunity. Only once has a player declined a card, and that was beacause he already had a straight flush K high and the A was dead. (BTW I was on the wrong end of that hand w/ Ks full.) Since everyone takes a card, the dealer advantage is minimal.

I think this is a really good idea and I will do just that. Thanks for the tip.

Jason