Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: NL suckouts galore

last night in a live n/l tourney with a tough blind structure, i got dealt basically junk hands for the 1st 3 orbits. finally, i picked up 2 face in the BB(KJoffsuit). the flop was A high with a J and a flush draw. SB bets out, i call, as do 2 others. the turn was a blank. SB bets out, i RAISE to limit the field, which works when the MP folds, CO calls, then SB folds. i caught a K on the river and put the CO, who had the Ace of course, out of the game.

next hand i win, i get black QQ in the CO. i raise 1st in to 2 1/2xBB, and am called by the button and BB. the board is 10 high. checked to me, i bet 3/4 pot. button moves in (i have him covered by a bit), i call. he turns over red AA. i picked up runner runner club to take the pot.

next hand i'm involved in i have KQoffsuit in the SB. 3 callers to me, i merely complete. BB checks. flop is KQJ rainbow. i check, planning to raise. BB bets the minimum, it is folded to me when i push(i had about twice the pot). he calls and turns over a lonely Jack. he gets his Jack on the turn to put me out of the tourney. i stewed about that hand all stinking night, even though i had sucked out twice to make it to where i was. i'm over it now, but barely.

cheers!
Old 10-16-2004, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
last night in a live n/l tourney ... blah blah blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you people tell your long boring stories like anyone cares?

I don't even bother to read that crap. Anytime I'm talking about a 'bad beat' it's nothing but the most scathing sarcasm I can muster. I groan about it, but personally. Why can't all of you do so as well?

Note: I think your story was about putting bad beats on others, but I just skimmed it. As both kinds are equally boring and have nothing relevant to say.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:29 PM

Hi Loki,

I think you missed the point of tripdad's post. He hits two incredible draws, then gets drawn out on, and goes home stewing about how he got drawn out on. The point, I think, was that we remember when we get drawn out on, but ignore the times we draw out on someone else or our hand holds up.

So we end up with the kind of story the OP writes, where he got drawn out on 7 times and "what are the odds of that?" Well, I played yesterday for about 200 hands, and I'm sure I was outdrawn at least 7 times. I also had some best hands hold up, and one outdraw of my own. That's pretty much normal for a NL session. *shrugs*

The difference between winning and losing, or between losing just a little and losing catastrophically, is how many chips you have in the pot when you get outdrawn vs. how many you have in the pot when your hand holds up or you hit your draw. The earlier you push your chips in the middle, at a table where you're going to get callers, the higher your variance is going to be.

Cris
Old 10-16-2004, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point, I think, was that we remember when we get drawn out on, but ignore the times we draw out on someone else or our hand holds up.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding! we have a winner. why Loki didn't get this, i have no clue.

cheers!
Old 10-17-2004, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ding ding ding! we have a winner. why Loki didn't get this, i have no clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I didn't bother to read your stupid stories when you could have SAID WHAT CRIS SUMMARIZED OUTRIGHT and done with much less bother.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:11 PM

Are u Gata Kamsky with chess rating around 2700 ?
Old 10-16-2004, 11:14 PM

You don't lose 1200 at NL $100 at party without:
1) Sucking horribly
2) Tilting
3) Both

Maybe you should examine your own play before blaming lady luck. I'm sure the bad beats happened, but I'm also pretty sure you tilted away a lot after that. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted.

Don't tilt.