Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 11:28 PM

Default Re: UK view of presidential candidates

[ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but the very next poll listed on that page is "Does Kate Winslet look a size 8 at the Finding Neverland premiere?"

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many people voted in this? 50? Regardless, who really cares what a bunch of Brits think about our presidential candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bunch of brits (The House of Commons) is presently discussing wether to send another bunch of Brits (The Black Watch et al) To stress points in Baghdad to free up American troops for an assault on insurgent controled areas and towns.

Tony is keen to do this but as most of the first bunch (H of C) dont like Bush they are resisting Tony over this move.

So you see what a bunch of Brits think about the President can be important to its strategic interests at times.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:52 AM

Well where's the link. Personally I think she looks good with a little more weight on her. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2004, 08:54 AM

ROFLMAO...Bail us out? You're lucky you're not speaking German.

[ QUOTE ]
As you biggest ally and having to bail you out in Iraq

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2004, 09:33 AM

Yes they want UK soldiers to go to the bits of Bagdad where your soldiers are currently getting killed every day. The reason being we have the skills and expertise in occupation and bringing the people onside whereas the gung ho american attitude is if it moves blow it up.

Not sure how much is being reported in the US but you do realise that your lot are still suffering multiple casualties every day in Iraq.

Its interesting that US forces are building up for a major assault on Falluja, expected to happen once your elections are over (cant have it affecting the election results) even though the war has been over for such a long time now (well according to Bush).

Article on The Different Approaches of US and UK Soldiers
Old 10-19-2004, 09:43 AM

Of course we realize Americans are dying! How could we not. But I'd hardly call what you're proposing a "bail out". Don't you realize that it's all just politics and posturing? And if you were familiar with the situation you'd realize that bringing "people onside" isn't the issue. You really think you're going to bring a bunch of zealots "onside"? From people I know there and e-mail almost daily I understand that the majority are "onside". But they're scared. An occupation force is exactly what we don't need. The bunker/occupation mentality just gets in the way. We don't want another Ireland, (or any of the other NUMEROUS places your occupations have gone so well). And they're gonna be scared until we stop playing patty cake and send enough troops over there and stop to root out the scum and wipe them from the face of the Earth.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes they want UK soldiers to go to the bits of Bagdad where your soldiers are currently getting killed every day. The reason being we have the skills and expertise in occupation and bringing the people onside whereas the gung ho american attitude is if it moves blow it up.

Not sure how much is being reported in the US but you do realise that your lot are still suffering multiple casualties every day in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2004, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well where's the link. Personally I think she looks good with a little more weight on her. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read a little blurb about this in my morning paper. It says a UK 8 is equal to a US 4, and she said the report is insane and that she didn't slim down to an 8.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course we realize Americans are dying! How could we not. But I'd hardly call what you're proposing a "bail out". Don't you realize that it's all just politics and posturing? And if you were familiar with the situation you'd realize that bringing "people onside" isn't the issue. You really think you're going to bring a bunch of zealots "onside"? From people I know there and e-mail almost daily I understand that the majority are "onside". But they're scared. An occupation force is exactly what we don't need. The bunker/occupation mentality just gets in the way. We don't want another Ireland, (or any of the other NUMEROUS places your occupations have gone so well). And they're gonna be scared until we stop playing patty cake and send enough troops over there and stop to root out the scum and wipe them from the face of the Earth.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I wrote the bail out comment it was after hearing the news which gave the impression it was thousands of UK troops that were going as appose to the 650 it actually will be.

However what is clear with both Afganistan and Iraq is as soon as the US troops pull out (and who knows how long term that will be) there will be a civil war, its all very well going in all guns blazing but if you dont know how to get out it becomes a problem.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:35 PM

Problem is there always has been and probably always be war going on continuously in that part of the world. I dunno why we think we can change that. Hopefully we can stop it from spilling out anymore than it already has, or maybe just contain it there until they lose interest and go back to killing each other instead of Westerners. Hell I dunno what the answer is.

[ QUOTE ]
When I wrote the bail out comment it was after hearing the news which gave the impression it was thousands of UK troops that were going as appose to the 650 it actually will be.

However what is clear with both Afganistan and Iraq is as soon as the US troops pull out (and who knows how long term that will be) there will be a civil war, its all very well going in all guns blazing but if you dont know how to get out it becomes a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2004, 01:16 PM

probably because "traditional" political face-to-face verbal debating is not common in the US but is a weekly occurrence in the UK House of Commons.

Here in the States, they show the Wednesday fights where the PM takes on all comers. I have to admit that I am a little envious. I'd love to see Bubba go through that once a week. Bubba's afraid of the press, I don't know what he'd do if he had to face political rivals.

What's that notebook Tony opens up in front of him? How old is the guy? He's up and down like a jack in the box. I'd be exausted if I lept out of my chair a hundred times an hour. He must want to appear eager to engage the opposition...