Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Super System II

"Also, S/S II is going to cover a lot of games, not just limit hold'em. I'm an anomaly, but most of the money I've won over the years has come from games other than limit hold'em. Ray has said that the real money is to be made at other games, and while I haven't made what Ray would consider real money, I tend to agree with him."

Um, could someone elaborate on this? I've never heard of this before, how much more can you make in other games? Why? Have there been other threads or articles about this I can read? Thanks.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Um, could someone elaborate on this? I've never heard of this before, how much more can you make in other games? Why? Have there been other threads or articles about this I can read? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been several threads on this recently in the Other Poker forum and in the Stud forum. Also see:

Mike Cappelletti:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...hives/?a_id=86

Steve Badger
http://www.playwinningpoker.com/omaha/ :

[ QUOTE ]
Why play Omaha?... This website is called Play Winning Poker. While some newbies reading this Introduction will be hard pressed to do it right away, the aim is to win at Omaha -- not have fun, or even to irritate yourself. Frankly, at lower limits, winning at Omaha is easy, if you really are trying to win because most Omaha players play terribly, much worse than they play Holdem (which is not so good to start with).

In many ways, Omaha is mathematically simplistic. If you play only good starting hands and your opponents see fit to play almost every hand, and don't care whether they play for one bet or for four, soon the math of that will work in your favor. Omaha is the best game to make money, especially when you have a small bankroll. $3/6 Omaha requires only about half the bankroll of $3/6 Holdem, but your hourly win rate should be higher.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-15-2004, 01:17 AM

take a dude like snakehead for example, who's great in all games, but his normal game are the stud games at the commerce, not hold'em.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:57 AM

I agree with your assessment of HFAP. In fact, I probably got more out of 'Hold 'em Poker' than I did HFAP. The problem, as I see it, is that it's speaking to a bygone era of mid limit hold 'em-- a time when the games were played by people who still held some semblance of sanity, and could actually identify a poor starting hand when one was dealt to them.

I remember in particular the advice about check raising the river with an underpair if there was an ace on board and your opponent had been calling all the way. The idea here was that your opponent might lay down a pair of aces with a bad kicker.

Honest to God, I don't think anyone has laid down top pair in a heads-up pot on the river in any game I've played in the past five years. Along the same lines, the 'checking the turn when you have outs, but betting when you don't' has got to be the weirdest advice that 2P2 has ever dispensed. I just can't imagine the scenerio where I'd check behind with two pair on the turn with a flush on board. I know they tried to shore some of this up with the 21st century edition, but it needs more work than that.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:00 AM

The brand of Chinese poker we used to play was 5 card stud with all the 2's through 8's removed. Is this the same game your talking about? Because if it is, I'll be the first to agree that this has got to be the most profitable game I've ever played.

Also- and I'm just shooting in the dark here-- have you or anyone else here ever played a game called 'big deuce'?
Old 10-15-2004, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ray has said that the real money is to be made at other games

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is still true with the plethora of limit holdem games with very easy competition available today?
Old 10-15-2004, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also- and I'm just shooting in the dark here-- have you or anyone else here ever played a game called 'big deuce'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I have always known as chinese poker or Pusoy. I've never heard of the game youre talking about.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The brand of Chinese poker we used to play was 5 card stud with all the 2's through 8's removed. Is this the same game your talking about? Because if it is, I'll be the first to agree that this has got to be the most profitable game I've ever played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never played this variation before.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "cho-da-dee" as we say it in Cantonese or Big 2. Yes, that is poker game as well and also a skill game, but I have yet to find any good books on it. I don't like it as much because it's slow.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats what I have always known as chinese poker or Pusoy. I've never heard of the game youre talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Chinese Poker I am referring to is as follows:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=

It's a 13 card variation of poker.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:17 AM

Hi Bruiser,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Europe, but in North America Hold'em, Stud, and Lowball have the norm for most poker games. So there won't be much literature to cover other forms of poker like those mentioned above due to little interest. In Asia however, particuarly the SE countries (HK, China, Taiwan, Singapore to name a few) the poker games played are Chinese Poker, Big 2 and 5 card stud NL.

I don't know why Hold'em hasn't hit the mainstream gambling market in Macau yet. My guess is that the action just isn't exciting enough, yet many Asians love Baccarat. Go figure.

Like any poker game, game selection is key. So obviously you want to select a table you can beat. Fortunately these "variations" have some very bad players or players who absolutely love to gamble it up.

Don Smolen has a wonderful Chinese poker book out and a software simulator to learn how to play.