FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PP 3/6 SSH or HEPFAP
SSH 26 52.00%
HEPFAP 2 4.00%
Something in between/it varies 22 44.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Libertarian Poll !

They're the same thing. Freedom = Civil Rights. You're making the mkistake of equating taking my freedom to give someone else "civil rights". That's wrong, Numbnuts.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:37 PM

The Religious Right does not equal The Right.

As well, the civil right corresponding to Freedom of religion appears completely lost on you.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Religious Right does not equal The Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is why I called it the religous right. Of course the conventional right is a massive fan of Gay marriage and abortion.

Also earlier in my thread I said:

[ QUOTE ]
concerned with increasing the basic civil rights of individuals that have had there civil right inhibited by gender, race or religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

So im baffled as to how you can assert:

[ QUOTE ]
As well, the civil right corresponding to Freedom of religion appears completely lost on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anymore brain farts youd like to inflict on us.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:15 PM

Why did you bring the Religious right into this when the issue was about just the Right?

If the so-called Religious right believes a fetus is a living being, how can you claim you accept their right to freedom of religion if you do not support a ban on the murder of what they believe are living beings?

After all, nobody doubts that John Doe on the street is a living being and thus nobody would accept his murder. But if my religion tells me that a fetus is a living being, his murder would thus be a crime under the law.

Yet you (or the Left, I'm not sure if you're arguing personally or on behalf of "the Left") would deny them that definition of living being.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:44 PM

It might be helpful if you quoted from the person you are responding to and elaborated a bit. As it is I can't tell for sure if you are responding to my post or to someone else's.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I forgot the religous right is so approving of gay marriage and abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about the religious right. I was referring to your statement:

The trend I observe is for libertarians to be more severe in there attacks on the traditional left for its tax policies but less critical of the right for its authoratarian stance on life choices.

And I was informing you that you are wrong. Read the libertarian party platform. They totally oppose things like the gay marriage amendment and other authoritarian stances on life choices.

natedogg
Old 10-15-2004, 02:55 AM

Default For Badnarik\'s sake!..

For God's sake, this poll is not intended to be between a Damn Brilliant and a Truly Horrible situation! This is about trying to gauge the hierarchy of preferences in the Libertarian mind. Both choices in the poll are IMperfect, precisely for that reason.

So far, it seems that those posters (Libertarian or not) who took the poll are, at least, true to the Libertarian affiliation's name: they seem to prefer liberty over low taxation.

It's something to build on.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 AM

Obviously I forgot the religous right is so approving of gay marriage and abortion.

The Libertarian party supports gay marriage and opposes federal laws against abortion. I have repeatedly posted that I support abortion rights and gay marriage. There's the party's position and the position of one of the more outspoken libertarians on this board.

I think you're seeing what you want to see when you read our posts.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:35 AM

Default Re: For Badnarik\'s sake!..

On the hierarchy of preference, IMO, nothing is higher than freedom and civil rights. However, to reiterate, I consider the right of each person to his/her income to be a basic human right.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the so-called Religious right believes a fetus is a living being, how can you claim you accept their right to freedom of religion if you do not support a ban on the murder of what they believe are living beings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious.

Yes I support their right to beieve whatever they want about a fetus, creationism etc . You can believe what ever you want, and those beliefs should not interfere with your rights and youre involvement in civil society.

This dosnt mean that a democraticaly elected governemt has to enforce your beliefs over those who dont share them to confirm that it supports your religous freedom. In that case it would have to enforce in law all the religous beliefs of all its citizens.

You are being absolutely absurd.

This is western democracies we are talking about, not Afganistan under the Taliban.