Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Is it proper to drag her into it?

It was an example of political gamesmanship at its worst. Any tactical point the Kedwards team hoped to make with this tactic is far outweighed by the negative opinion most people have to a question like this.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:52 AM

Kerry is getting nailed about this on some of the post debate coverage. It was classless.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:09 AM

Offensive and stupid.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:46 AM

It's not offensive, don't be so sensitive. What I thought was funny was the response from her mother which went something like, "He is a bad man, john kerry is a bad man."
Old 10-14-2004, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Offensive and stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree and I would bet that Kerry probably wishes he had that one back.

There was no reason to bring her specifically into his point. HOwever I am working really hard this election on giving both candidates the benfit of the doubt and trying to avoid demonizing them. To that end I think that Kerry didn't mean to be offensive and just made a mistake.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 AM

Lynn Cheney supposedly said that Kerry is "not a good man" and that he went way over the line bringing up Mary Cheney.

If Dick Cheney had mentioned his daughter in the VP debate, then I think it would be have justified for Edwards and Kerry to talk about her. But Cheney didn't.

The fact that both Edwards and Kerry mentioned Mary Cheney shows that the Democrats, for whatever reason, have made a calculated decision to discuss her. Maybe they are trying to embarass the Cheney family and throw him off a bit. Maybe they are trying to get some of the evangelical Christians to stay home on election night by reminding them that Cheney has a gay daughter.

It's reprehensible to drag other family members into the discussion for political gain. It would have been tantamount to Bush mentioning that Kerry had been divorced and that he had married into two extremely wealthy families. Or like Bush 41 mentioning that Michael Dukakis' wife was a recovering alcoholic who may have had some mental problems.

It's almost as bad as pandering to people with spinal cord injuries by saying that if Kerry is elected, people like Christopher Reeve will get up out of their wheelchairs and walk again. Just disgusting.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:14 AM

Considering the question is what have you learned from the strong women in your life, Bush talked about how much he loved his wife and Kerry answered the question.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:37 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]
Kerry answered the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you weren't paying attention, all Kerry said about his wife was that he "married up", what did he learn from that?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:51 AM

The question was about strong women in their lives and what they were taught by them. Kerry answered that his mother taught him "Integrity, Integrity, Integrity." He also said of his wife and daughters "I can sometimes take myself too seriously. They surely don't let me do that. "
Old 10-14-2004, 09:54 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]
Kerry answered that his mother taught him "Integrity, Integrity, Integrity."

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently this teaching didn't take in his case.