Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: my numbers at 25nl if that matters.(all 6 handed)

[ QUOTE ]
the party 6 max players are generally so lose across all the games that the best strategy is to play tight preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

Against looser opponents your adjustment should be to play more hands, but semi-bluff and bluff less because they're more likely to call. Also be more careful with hands like TPTK because they're somewhat more likely to have disguised hands that you can't put them on (two-pair on a total rags board).

Theory of Poker backs me up on this one...

-Ben
Old 10-14-2004, 10:13 AM

When I 4 or 8-table the 10-max at NL25, my VP$IP is constantly right around 11 (sometimes as low as 10.5). When you multitable like this at the 10-max, this is, quite simply, the way to get the money. Playing more hands would require better reads than I have when playing that many tables. Certainly I could make those reads, but that would require cutting down on the number of tables I play which I believe would cut down on my actual hourly win-rate. Before you make judgments like this, you should consider all factors. While I'm not sure that this person multitables, I do think he would be ill-advised to change his strategy drastically (i.e., try to play more hands) while multitabling.

If his win-rate is this high after 10,000 hands, I'm sure he's fine. Good luck with the NL50.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:05 AM

Default time for me to be a jerk

well, here goes.

playing that tight is ok only if you plan to play those stakes forever and never move up in games. essentially you're teaching yourself to play the easiest hands under the easiest of circumstances (huge reverse implied odds hands on short stacks). this requires almost no thought whatsoever; i could play the top 7% of hands and 30 table for even more money, but does that mean i should?

The simple fact is that, if you want to beat a game like party's 25NL, tight preflop play is enough to do it. if you want to become a player who can beat real NL games for real, bigger money, then try playing a (gasp) suited semi connector every once in a while.

Very often I see hands where the poster gets himself into a sticky situation with such a hand and the overwhelming scream is "fold that trash preflop" or "T9s is a junk hand". Bullhonkey. we're here to become better players, not to perpetuate an algorithm of semi-profitable super-predictable play.

My final point is this: anyone who has played more than 10K hands is ready to mix it up, play against some deepstacks and really make some money. I think he should start playing a few more hands (especially in 6max for crying in the rain!) because of this. This whole doctrine of ultratight play, for which that damn kleptic site is partially responsible, is silly. you've played 10K hands, you know a bit about poker, you can play some more marginal hands.

fim

ps- sorry to all who now hate me
Old 10-14-2004, 10:17 AM

Fimbul, I think we've had this discussion before. It sounds like you are successful NL player with a significantly looser playing style than the average two plus twoer. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I've had difficulty being so loose with the short stacks involved at party. I think for someone trying to make the transition to a higher limit though, they're better off starting too tight than too loose IMO.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:13 AM

Hey im new what is VPIP stand for
Old 10-14-2004, 03:58 AM

Default Re: moving up?

You have enough. But I'll prefer to have very much more bankroll if stepping up to NL$100, something like $3000 to $4000, because the play there is much tougher.