Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 AM

Default Re: In first 25 hands of night: 2 AK, 2 KK, AQs, KQ, JT, J9s- Down 22BB.

I know EXACTLY how you feel, I can't count how many times all of my good hands were cracked last night, I lost my 30 BB I was up on the night; what a waste of time. These games are so swingy, I can't see how anyone can be a consistant winner. I'd rather play at ultimate bet where people fold.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: In first 25 hands of night: 2 AK, 2 KK, AQs, KQ, JT, J9s- Down 22

1. Hero is MP2 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] : Raise preflop.

2. Hero is MP1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] : Well played, it happens.

3. Hero is Button with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] : I don't think you have enough clean outs to continue on the turn here. You have 4 outs to AA, KK or TT, with the possibility of a split with the button, You have 6 outs to AK. You have 2 outs to JJ or AQ. And you have 5 outs to QQ. Is SB raising preflop with other hands?

4. Hero is MP2 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] : Raise the flop. SB may be betting a flush draw and even if he's not you have overcards. I hate the phrase "clean up your outs", but a raise may just do that here and may also get you the opportunity for a free card on the turn.

5. Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] : I play it the same. Some might check the turn but against 2 opponents I do not.

6. Hero is BB with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] : Bet the flop! Maybe Button will fold, and if not you still have your OESD and you can decide whether to take a stab on the turn. Having check-called the flop, you have to fold the turn. You do not have the odds to continue here.

7. Hero is UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] : What exactly were you trying to accomplish with that river bet? What hand did you possibly think the button could have that either you were ahead of OR would fold? He 3-bet pre-flop and raised the flop! The river bet, to me, looks like a bad case of tilt or of only playing your cards.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Re: In first 25 hands of night: 2 AK, 2 KK, AQs, KQ, JT, J9s- Down 22BB.

I think you should thank those guys for all the money they saved you.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls $0.12 (All-In).

Final Pot: 9.62 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is classic!!

So BB had to be thinking.

Wow I hope he checks the river so I save the 12 cents in case he has a higher flush.

-or-

If I reraise him my 12 cents I might scare him away.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:49 AM

Hey, I was at the table where you played hand 2 with KK. Don't publicly question people that cold call you with A5o. It might convince them not to do it again.

I know it's frustrating, but you want that cold call. You NEED that cold call.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Hero is MP2 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] : Raise the flop. SB may be betting a flush draw and even if he's not you have overcards. I hate the phrase "clean up your outs", but a raise may just do that here and may also get you the opportunity for a free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU!

[ QUOTE ]
6. Hero is BB with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] : Bet the flop! Maybe Button will fold, and if not you still have your OESD and you can decide whether to take a stab on the turn. Having check-called the flop, you have to fold the turn. You do not have the odds to continue here.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!

My god people! I love you guys, but a lot of you been responding to this advise that has been offering some of the weakest advise I have seen in a while. Weak tight thinking seems to be en vouge on this forum again -- we gotta do something about this.

Aggression people, aggression!!

Thanks for setting them straight Lou.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:11 PM

Overall comment -- you are not aggressive enough.

Hand one is good.

Hand two looks good as well.

Hand 3: Either raise or fold the flop. Considering you only have midpair with a poor straight draw, I fold it. But calling is the worst option.

Hand 4: RAISE THIS FLOP. This isn't even close. You have 2 overcards and want a chance at a free card on the turn.

Hand 5: I take the free card on the turn.

Hand 6: Bet out on the flop! Again, this isn't even close.

Hand 7: Tough hand. Good bet out on the flop. This is close enough where I won't question your play at all -- you know your opponent here better than me.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:25 PM

Hey lou great advice, i'm not sure about a flop raise here though.

A little down the road, AQs:
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 folds, Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB 3-bets, BB calls $0.99 (All-In), UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14.98 SB) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players, 1 all-in)
SB bets, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.99 BB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players, 1 all-in)
SB bets, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (11.99 BB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](4 players, 1 all-in)
SB bets, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 12.99 BB

Against any of the big pair's you're facing a re-raise, and against AK your only good with your Q. Best case scenario is you raise, get the free card against a big pair pair planning to check you on the turn and spiking a A on the river. Or am i horribly out of wack here? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2004, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against any of the big pair's you're facing a re-raise, and against AK your only good with your Q. Best case scenario is you raise, get the free card against a big pair pair planning to check you on the turn and spiking a A on the river. Or am i horribly out of wack here? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not off the charts out of whack, but somewhat. Honestly, this is weak tight thinking.

If you get reraised that tells you that he's got the goods (like KK), and you can precede cautiously, maybe even laying it down on the turn despite the large pot if a scarey card comes up. If he doesn't 3 bet, you can take a free card on the turn.

Now, you are correct that a lot of what he would raise with preflop dominates you. But a lot doesn't. He could easily have something like KJs, and a flop raise would work nicely. The pot is too big be passive at this point.

Oh yeah, and a flop raise might knock Button out.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against any of the big pair's you're facing a re-raise, and against AK your only good with your Q. Best case scenario is you raise, get the free card against a big pair pair planning to check you on the turn and spiking a A on the river. Or am i horribly out of wack here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words (you too, Greg).

What makes the flop a raise for me here is that there are 16 SB in the pot when it gets to you. Yes, you are in bad shape against AA-JJ or AK and you have to factor that into account. But with 16 SB in there I'm not folding and if I'm staying in with this weakish draw I want to get the Button to fold.

Now, if it gets 3-bet then you have to call and seriously think about folding the turn if bet into (not on this turn, though, as you would (barely) have odds to go for the gutshot and your A or Q outs MAY also be good). But AK is not 3-betting unless it's AKs. So you only need to really worry about AA-JJ and AA or QQ are less likely given your holding. In a 16SB pot I'll take my chances that he 3-bet preflop with TT or AK and hope for improvement or a free card on the turn.