Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips what is he getting at about online poker, and which

please enlighten me as to these controversies.

thanks.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:04 AM

Who thinks paul is sick of seeing his name in thread titles? I do!
Old 10-13-2004, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My next thread is going to be:

Is paul phillips sick of seeing his name in thread titles?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:30 AM

haha... that should be a sticky sponger!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips what is he getting at about online poker, and which one?

What if you currently had bad checks at a store and they knew you by name/face. So you go in and buy $12.50 worth of items and pay with a $100 bill. How would you feel if they kept the change saying - well you owe us this much anyway.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips what is he getting at about online poker, and which one?

Is it primapoker? Their sites are a joke.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:11 PM

IANAL, but I believe that is illegal. The waters are greatly muddied with the off shore aspects, but I do not believe you can seize assets like that. The propper way is to sue for what you are owed and get a judgement against the debtor. Then I think you have avenues open to legally sieze assets if the debtor does not satisfy the judgement (and the judgement itself has a large impact on the debtor until it is cleared).

In answer to the question, if I knew that a site illegally seized monies from one of its clients accounts, and I had an account there, I would close the acount. I would be VERY leary of any company that was so cavalier. Companies are legal entities, and distinct from their owners; debts just do not transfer in this shoolyard way.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:55 PM

"I do not believe you can seize assets like that. The propper way is to sue for what you are owed and get a judgement against the debtor. Then I think you have avenues open to legally sieze assets if the debtor does not satisfy the judgement"

There are exceptions - what about mechanic's and contractor's liens?
In these cases, they are holding on to assets they have to satisfy debts without legal process (granted, the debts relate to the assets seized).

It is pretty common in business for assets held to be used to offset other liabilities. I know where I was working, our President would offset our payables to a company if they owed our other company money and were refusing to pay.

The reasoning is to get what you can to minimize your losses and if the debtor doesn't like it, they can persue it at their expense. Banks do this all the time.

That said, it is not the best practice in a business that involves a high degree of trust, like gaming.
I can't say if I would do it in their place. That depends on the terms of the debt and the conduct of the person who owes it to you.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I do not believe you can seize assets like that. The propper way is to sue for what you are owed and get a judgement against the debtor. Then I think you have avenues open to legally sieze assets if the debtor does not satisfy the judgement"

[/ QUOTE ]
There are exceptions - what about mechanic's and contractor's liens?
In these cases, they are holding on to assets they have to satisfy debts without legal process (granted, the debts relate to the assets seized).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yest and no, they still have to go through a legal process (just not through the courts I believe). You still have to file paperwork to seize or retain the property. There is propably an appeal period, too for the property owner, but I am not familiar with the particulars. Also, in that case, the debt is owed to the legal entity doing the seizing, which is not the case in the hypothetical that was originally mentioned.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:16 PM

All he has to do is stop using innuendo and say what he means and that will probably stop happening.

Lori