Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Q on desktops

If the sole use of the computer will be games for 12 year old, on line poker & PT for adult, do you go with Celeron processor or Pentium. Never understood what applications will bog the system down.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Poker Laptop - Would this be a good one?

Unfortunately, RAM in laptops is quite expensive. You need to get at least 512 megs of RAM to have most applications run smoothly, and many cheap laptops offer that much. Stay away from Pentium 3's, too -- they are very outdated.

Your best bet is to bide your time and scan sales religiously. Right now a lot of vendors are selling Pentium M's at fire sale prices on weekly sales, especially the 1.5 CPU. You can sometimes get those for under $1,000, and they are vastly more than a Pentium 3, have better screens than you were noting above, etc. Really, if you're going to be spending money, you need to get something worth keeping, and a Pentium 3 is incredibly outdated. I'm almost surprised they're even still making them, they're so old and sluggish compared to what we have had out there for so long now.

I would set my budget more in the $900-ish to $1,100-ish range or just do without a laptop. The extra money will be extremely well spent. Just keep your eye out for good sales and don't buy unless you see a significant sale; they happen all the time. Check Fry's electronics online store at www.outpost.com regularly, as they have three sales a week, Circuit City and Best Buy and Office Depot and all the other sites you can think of, on a regular schedule.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Poker Laptop - Would this be a good one?

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you could find a 1 gig you wouldn't even be able to install Windows XP .

[/ QUOTE ]

shows you how much I know.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[...sticks head back in sand...]