Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 pages)

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read much of your post but you have one of the best forum names ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed he was an importer/exported of Oriental carpets named Edward. But maybe not...
Old 10-11-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 page

I got a BS in math from UW-La Crosse, but it was more number theory and computer science related. My real major was computer science and the math sort of just came along for the ride. I only took 1 statistics class. I'm not sure if the idea of "limited lifetime" comes up in later statistics courses, but I believe it plays a huge role in poker.

About my text block... come on. I'm not selling books. I'm not a writer or publisher, it shouldn't be expected of me. I'm a poker player, trying to convey some ideas and spur discussion about a new book.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 pages)

ummmm... i don't think i said that.

i said to raise A9o in the cutoff seat and on the button... or at least that is what i meant. if i said UTG, it was a mistake. this is as recommended by lee jones, and i agree with it. i used to muck A9o in the cutoff after a few limpers. now i'm raising and have proven to myself it is a profitable play, especially after you get a tight table image.

i also said to fold AJo UTG and UTG+1, just to clarify in case i totally botched that whole section.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: REVIEW: Ed Miller\'s new book \"Small Stakes Hold\'Em\" (first 82 page

Probably not the sublime I'm thinking of. The sublime I know buys in at 25% the max at NL 50 / 100 tables and plays tight-weak.

Nope [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I play 3/6-5/10 online and cap 99 heads up against JoeTall live [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Weak Tight I am not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2004, 06:43 PM

wow... i left RPG and came here for THIS?!

i put out a discussion piece. you read 1 paragraph and RESPOND, telling someone else NOT TO RESPOND. i know you didn't read further because you responded within 2 minutes.

does that accomplish anything?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:52 PM

just reread the post... i said "cutoff and under the gun..."

OOPS. i meant cutoff and on the button...

side note, i actually am an open mic comedian.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:56 PM

Your "discussion piece" was nothing more than an all-out attack on one of the contributing authors for this forum. What did you really expect to get out of your post, a few e-cool points for an edrugtrader? Maybe if you had some e-objective opinions I'd give an e-rat's ass about what you were saying. Let this be a lesson on how first posts should not be written.

Also, might as well get the inevitable out in the open:
Did Lee Jones go to MIT? Did you go to MIT?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:01 PM

i get it.

this IS cuba.

i disagreed with the dictator, and pointed out obvious mistakes. is that not allowed? was i wrong? how was i wrong?

MIT has nothing to do with anything... if you are right on a given topic, then you are right. math can be proven... whether or not you actually learned anything at MIT can not.

sorry my raft landed on your shore, i'm gone.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:05 PM

wow... i left RPG and came here for THIS?!

I'm a poker player, trying to convey some ideas and spur discussion:

I am a huge winner at 10-20 games and below... and recently my win rate in big bets per hand was the highest... I'd like to think i am getting by far the best of it at all times... I spot stuff like this instantly without even thinking about it... I didn't buy a kids book of poker fun-fun time... This flaw was so obvious to me, I actually crapped myself after I read it. I used pages 56 through 80 to wipe...

Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone isn't listening.

As for your objections:

Page 56: clearly, there may be specific instances where an unskilled player's mistakes and your read on the situation parlay to create an EV gain for the unskilled player. We've all bet someone's hand for them, but that doesn't change the fact that their need to act first in general constitutes a substantial advantage for the late position player. No need to treat it like you've reinvented the wheel.

Page 80: A2s is not probably dominated 4-handed, and it's flush value will likely compensate for those times when it is dominated.

Your objections to these recommendations are what? "The times you miss you'll put a lot of money in". That's simply not true with TT. With a 3-bet preflop, you'll put in 1.5 BB and likely fold if you do not flop an overpair, draw or set. With A2s, they're recommending that you play it for only 1 bet preflop. What's so hard to understand here?

This kind of hyperbolic review contributes very little, and your self-description makes you sound ridiculous. I'm sure you're the best poker player you've ever seen. No one here cares.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:15 PM

Ed,

Yeah, this is Cuba. You are pretty much right, this book is vastly overrated, and contains little if any new good information that hadn't already been covered by Lee Jones, Ken Warren, or Rolf Slotboom.

-Michael