Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Re: People who play 6-8 tables.... ?

mad, try six .5/1 tables to get used to it.

I played about 100k hands with 4 tables. for about a week, 6 seemed like a lot, but 2 weeks later, it's good. I've experimented with 8, but for the moment, my brain hasn't adjusted enough to follow the action on all the tables (i.e. it's the river on table 4, who check-raised the flop again?). But practice at a level where the money means little to you.

I also found it helpful to keep all my tables on one 1600x1200 screen. This way I never miss a turn and it's all easily within my field of vision, even though there's overlap.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:57 PM

Yeah, good point. That's another thing. Sometimes you forget who raised preflop. Sometimes you forget if there was a raise preflop. These are tough to deal with, and they will happen.

-Michael
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 PM

I have two monitors also, and still find the time to refresh the forums here every five seconds. But it takes some getting used to, and like I said in my last response to bison's post, you will forget some important stuff.

That being said, I think it is +EV if you have a solid game. You are definitely giving up something at each table, though.

-Michael
Old 10-09-2004, 09:12 PM

I just upped my tables from 4 to 6 and I seriously don't feel like my game per table has gone down any. I do have 2 monitors running at 16x12, so no overlap though. The couple times I've tried playing 8, I've felt a definite downgrade in my game per table. I very much doubt my winrate playing 6 though is even 10% lower than playing 4. This coming from a guy who played 2 tables till March and 3 tables till just a month ago. Try playing 6. If you're a little worried about it, play them at a lower limit till you get comfortable.

GoT
Old 10-09-2004, 09:20 PM

I'm mostly doing 4 tables because I have been stepping above my more comfortable 3/6 area lately.

I've done some experimenting with 6 tables and a little bit with 8.
I'm kind of in the same spot as you in that my 2nd monitor is less than terrific. Also, my 'main' monitor on my laptop is only 1400x1050 so even on that I have a little overlap.

8 tables is a real struggle for me but I suspect it wouldn't be nearly as bad if I had the res on both monitors (or if I got one of those 'super' monitors that can handle it all).

6 I can do okay with but that seems to be about my limit right now.
since I'm hopping around on different sites clearing bonuses I'm always getting used to what the little differences are for tables popping to front of screens when it's my turn etc. So If I have 2 tables of P-Room, 2 Party and a couple on crypto I am probably making it tougher on myself.
I suspect it should be much easier to do 6 or more once I get through this wave of bonuses and just pop a bunch of party/skins tables up there.

Another idea - if you like playing 6-max at all then try that on 3-4 tables. It obviously goes much faster....but since you have the same number of tables on your screen it might be decent training wheels. Every once in awhile I like testing out my 6-max game on a couple tables.
Then, when I head back to all full-tables (4 or more) it feels like slow-motion.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:03 PM

its frantic with 1 monitor, but if you have two monitors, its no real problem.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:07 PM

I get the impression that you really need a second monitor to go past 4 tables, or at least a bigger one than my 17". So I'm interested as well in the answer from a mental strain perspective, whether the investment is worth it.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:15 PM

Well I mainly play 8 but have done 12 on several occassions. I just moved up to 15/30 though so I'm playing 4 for the time being just trying to get used to the game and everything. Going well so far [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I still only use my laptop monitor [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ponks
Old 10-09-2004, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also found it helpful to keep all my tables on one 1600x1200 screen. This way I never miss a turn and it's all easily within my field of vision, even though there's overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in definite agreement with this. All my tables overlap with 1400x1000 resolution (or 1000x1400 not sure) and I think I'd almost prefer it that way then using 2 monitors. Nice to have everything in front of you. I'm just so used to it now.

Ponks
Old 10-09-2004, 10:54 PM

2 monitors is MUCH easier.
I thought it would be weird an uncomfortable at first....but it didn't take me long to get so used to it that I didn't even notice that I was on 2 different monitors. The mouse slides easily from one to the other.