FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Doom Themed Poker Chips

this kicks ass
Old 10-10-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Doom Themed Poker Chips 2nd Revision

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does the pixelation not bother you? I think the chip looks great, but you're limited by the original resolution of the mobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damageinc333, what if you could find some full rez images of the MOBs somewhere? I'd bet there are plenty out there. That would do Doom more justice on your chips I think. It wouldn't be desecration of the game.

Ten

[edit] p.s. ID even used "non in-game" graphics on the box and in other promotions...

http://doomworld.com/pageofdoom/images.html

And something like... (beware, large image)

[/ QUOTE ]

theres not enough "clean" artistic renditions of the graphics of all the monsters. I would want them all from the same artist for consistancy, my other option is to use Doom3 screenshots or use a Doom sourceport and grab screens of the 3d modeled doom monsters, problem with that option is I wanted to keep this more in the flavor of classic doom, and with using the 3d models they dont look like the original mobs (now you got me saying that word, lol). when you do the math the resolution of the chips im working on is 300dpi except the mobs which are either 150dpi or 100dpi depending on the mob and how much I scale it up. You figure the chip is 1.5" on the printout mockups ive done this isnt as much of a concern as it seems. It just looks bad when its displayed at 7" on your computer monitor. Will it be perfect? no, but unless I can get someone from id to give me access to all the concept art, im kind of limited on options. Cyber demons (what you posted) and Barons from hell are easy to find, Shotgun sargents and Imps and demons are a bit harder. I am open to options tho, I will look around and ask around a bit more for higher resolution art.

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions (good or bad) keep them coming [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Bad feedback is better then no Feedback.

oh, and heres the cyberdemon rendition (i think this one turned out the best so far)

-Tom
Old 10-10-2004, 04:07 PM

Those are/would be really cool looking chips, everyone agrees, and even if the monsters are pixelized and the DOOM is really sharp looking, I still think its kind of cool, gives it some character.

HOWEVER, aside from legal stuff, you realize that depending on what chip company you use, you are gonna have to pay like 150-250 per graphic you want to use. This unfortunately adds a lot of money to the overall cost. When I first started screwing around with photoshop to see what I wanted mine to look like, I didn't take that in to account.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:19 PM

Why is someone named Baron from Hell wearing khaki dress pants and sandals?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is someone named Baron from Hell wearing khaki dress pants and sandals?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, The Khakis I cant explain, mebbe its made from skin? but as far as the sandals, those are hooves [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Doom Chips: I Emailed id software and got a reply.

Hello, for those of you following this thread I sent an email to Todd Hollenshead who is the head of licencing at id software. Below is my email and below that is his responce. Email address's removed to protect the innocent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So it looks like I can get this done. Just to ensure that these chips cant be used for business use, I have to at this point insist on not having denominations. Is there anyone interested in participating in a group buy if/when it comes down to that? Honestly getting into the holidays money for me is going to be tight, so after the new year is probably when im going to start trying to make this happen.

----start paste----
Hello Todd,

I want to make poker chips based on the Original Doom game. The idea that the chips would feature the different monsters on each chip (low value chips will have weak monsters on them Soldier, imp, etc... and the higher value chips will have the stronger monsters (baron from hell, Cyberdemon). I want to use sprites straight from the game as well as screenshots from the game as the background. These chips will be for my personal use only and wont even actually have denominations printed on them. I am probably looking at getting 1000 of these made. The problem I have is, I want to seek permission to use these graphics for this purpose. There isn't a chip manufacture who will print these unless I get express written permission from the copyright holder (id software). Eventually I want to get Custom Playing cards made as well as dealer buttons, big/little blind buttons, etc. It will make the Friday night poker games I have a little more exciting then using the run of the mill generic dice themed chips I have now. I don't know if you can help me secure permission in my venture but it never hurts to ask. I stand to make NO money off of this, I am doing this as a fan of the game, over the years I've collected any doom related stuff I can get my hands on. I've bought Several copies of Doom and Doom2 just to get some of the extras inside (posters, miniatures, etc). If id software requires copyright information on the chips I would be willing to do whatever it takes to get this done.

Thanks,
-Tom

P.S. here's some examples of what I am trying to do

http://img17.exs.cx/img17/1309/doomrev1.jpg
http://img17.exs.cx/img17/7760/doomrev1demon.jpg
http://img29.exscx/img29/208/doomrev1cyber.jpg

----end paste----
----start paste----
Sounds like a fun idea, and I don't have any problem with it. I really don't think that getting customized one-off sets of things like this for personal use pose any significant copyright concern for anyone. But here's the rub, I can't grant you official permission without all of it going through our attorneys. That process is time consuming and costly, which makes it something that I'm unwilling to do.

I like the Cyberdemon as the black chip ;-)

tsh
----End Paste----
Old 10-11-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Doom Chips: I Emailed id software and got a reply.

[ QUOTE ]
So it looks like I can get this done

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I misreading his response? I don't know how you come to the conclusion that you can get it done when the response says:

[ QUOTE ]
But here's the rub, I can't grant you official permission without all of it going through our attorneys. That process is time consuming and costly, which makes it something that I'm unwilling to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2004, 01:01 PM

His response to the question isn't clear.

I think the last piece is in regards to his chips being officially "id sanctioned".

I think he can go right ahead and do it if he wants, but if he attempts to sell or use the chips in any manner that provide him with a source of income (rake games), then he'll be in for a world of hurt.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:51 PM

The question is whether the chip manufacturer can move forward because they are making a profit off of copyrighted material (not whether the purchaser can move ahead.) It isn't the seller's attempt to sell that the chip manufacturer is worried about --- it is their own.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:54 PM

It looks pretty clear like he is saying no, and that he can't help you out with the express written consent thing. You need to find a chip manufacturer who doesn't care about copyright or is too clueless to know what the hell that is, hooray for Blue Chip Co!