Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: New WPT show - \"WPT Poker Corner\"

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares? Commentary about featured hands taken out of the context of all of the final table hands is meaningless, just like poker tournament coverage ingeneral.

The only really good coverage was the live coverage of the final table of the APC at Turning Stone this summer complete with as-it-happened commentary.

I would like to see more of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard about the live coverage at Turning Stone this year, but I missed it. I was wondering if someone could explain to me what would prevent someone from cheating? I am sure they were checked for cell phones etc, but would there be ANY way for this to happen?

Do they choose not to broadcast live due to not getting "optimal" hands to show to tv viewers? I am sure by showing live coverage, you will not see as many badbeats, or people "just getting lucky" since you can view the hands played inbetween. (since I didn't see how they covered it, maybe I have it wrong...anyone with insite on this I would love to hear it)!

~[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]~ Queen of Hearts ~ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]~
Old 10-08-2004, 01:39 PM

If they included Don Cherry and called it "Coach's Poker Corner", the unintentional comedy would be off the charts.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if someone could explain to me what would prevent someone from cheating? I am sure they were checked for cell phones etc, but would there be ANY way for this to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

The show is taped on a five minute delay. Obv.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard about the live coverage at Turning Stone this year, but I missed it. I was wondering if someone could explain to me what would prevent someone from cheating? I am sure they were checked for cell phones etc, but would there be ANY way for this to happen?

Do they choose not to broadcast live due to not getting "optimal" hands to show to tv viewers? I am sure by showing live coverage, you will not see as many badbeats, or people "just getting lucky" since you can view the hands played inbetween. (since I didn't see how they covered it, maybe I have it wrong...anyone with insite on this I would love to hear it)!

~[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]~ Queen of Hearts ~ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]~

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a 5 minute delay. No cell phones were allowed. The commentators were in a sealed booth.

The actual hands were shown-the good, bad and ugly. The greta part of a final table coverage like this is you get to see how the entire range of hands were played by pro and amatuer alike thereby getting insight into their thinking process.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:43 PM

No VVP? Not sure if I can handle that... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2004, 04:58 PM

I like the idea of the show, but then again I'm pretty much a mark for any poker content on TV, with the exception of Celebrity Poker.

I'd still prefer that we have more live events on tv, with live commentary. The logistics are not easy to produce, but with the profits rolling in from poker broadcasts it seems like a no brainer.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they included Don Cherry and called it "Coach's Poker Corner", the unintentional comedy would be off the charts.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would just talk about how Daniel N is a "good canadian kid".
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM

Could be real good commentary, which is needed because WPT has no real commentary currently. And with those personalities, if the show degrades into a Wrestling Federation style propaganda slug fest, thats OK too.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any poker shows that offer real strategic content are alright in my book

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the fish use it at the low limit tables, I agree.

I like strategic info being in books with lots of words.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:56 PM

Great news. They couldnt have picked any better pros, either.