Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Why do I have so much trouble moving up?

you think about losing $70 in a day as losing a pair of sneakers and dinner.. don't.

I have kind of the opposite problem (okay, not really opposite, but I don't the right word): Whenever I make an impulse buy or spend a little extra than I had planned, I always justify it by thinking of it in terms of my hourly rate. This seriously has turned into a problem I think. I'm pretty good with money management, but I just spend too frivilously a lot of times. I went to go pick up some coasters the other day from BB&B and by the time I hit the cashier, I had spent just over $600. The problem is when she told me my total, it didn't even phaze me. I just thought, "Eh, two extra hours worth of wages spent," and pulled out my money clip. Sure I can afford it, but shit like that adds up after a few months (this has been going on for several now) and I don't think it's a good habit to engrain in my lifestyle anyway. Does anybody else have this problem??? I seriously need to find a way to keep myself from thinking in terms of hourly rate when I go shopping.

I bought a PC and monitor to use for a 10 day period when I would have otherwse been computerless. It ran me about $2k (I just bought a cheapy), but I justified it by saying that it'd more than pay itself off by the work I'd be able to do and then gave it to my sister, who could've used a new one, when I was done. Granted that is much more justifiable, it's just a good example of the mindset I have when I make purchases, and I don't think it's healthy or good for me.

GoT
Old 10-06-2004, 02:03 PM

a while back a longtime professional jazz musician told me that no matter what I did for a job, to always try and live below my means. I think this advice has helped me in a lot of ways.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-06-2004, 02:07 PM

Let me get this straight --

Your hourly rate playing poker is to the point where dropping 2K for a computer or $600 in BB&B doesn't phase you? No, I don't think I've had that problem yet, but I can hope...

I'd give a serious response, but it only seems like a problem if you're buying stuff you don't need or want rather than need.

ElSapo
Old 10-07-2004, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, many changes I just need to adjust to. But the key I think is not adjusting -too- much. I can beat the 2/4 games easily and without too much thought. I need to keep that same game I have, generally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious.

Everything you said about the struggle moving from $2/$4 to $3/$6 and beyond...I'm feeling about going from $1/$2.

I can beat the $.50/$1 and $1/$2 very mechanically and as you put without much thought - but I seem to freeze at $2/$4.

Will I beat the $2/$4 - yes. Will you beat the $3/$6 - yes I believe you will.

For me, as posters alluded to - their BB's not $$. The same raise I'd put in at a $1/$2 because it was the strategically correct play - I need to put in at $2/$4.

Thinking aloud.
Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 09:58 PM

Hi Sapo,

I have been moving through limits myself. I am on the verge of moving from 10/20 to 20/40. I have grown my bankroll to support the 20/40 game. Now I spend about 15% of my ring games at 20/40. I will increase that as time goes by. I know I can beat the game. I just have to get myself through the same psychological blocks that are eating at you (I presume). That is, I need to feel very confident when I check-raise the turn for 2x as much as I have been doing it for months. My last 20/40 session was a big step forward, as I actually felt like I belonged in the game. I suspect I will be exclusively playing 20/40 in 6 - 8 weeks, but only if I am thinking in terms of SB's and BB's at that level.

Hope that helps,

--Casey
Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is where our stories are similar. Twice I have attempted the limits of $10/$20 & $15/$30 only to suffer big downswings. I sometimes think I have really messed up in that I should have cashed my profits at the lower limits instead of dropping that profit playing the higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have this same problem. I have always found it difficult to play at the same limit. I have been playing 2/4 during the day and 5/10 (6 max) on nights/weekends when the games are softer. I have been winning fairly consistently at these limits (with the typical downswings of course). If I could stick to that I would be OK.

However this past weekend I placed 6th in a 1300+ player MTT and with my newfound prize money I decided I would give 10/20 (6 max) a try. It was fairly early in the evening when I sat down at the 10/20 table, the fish were out and I was one of the better players at the table. I was quickly up $600, not as much due to my great play because my opponents were just not playing very well. As the night progressed, the fish eventually left and the regular more experienced 10/20 players began to dominate. Needless to say, the hunter became the hunted and I was then the fish, so to speak. To make a long story short, my newfound MTT winnings are gone and I am now back down to my typical 2/4 bankroll.

What upsets me so much about this is that I know not to play above my limit but I did it anyway. This is the second time I have done this at 10/20. Plus losing that much $ in one night is a real drag on my confidence.

Eventually I will learn to stick with my standard limit games and move up appropriately. I felt I gained some knowledge while playing 10/20, but I wish that knowledge didn't have to come so expensively.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:22 PM

you need to be more aggressive at 3/6. don't be weak tight. re-raise more.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the great thread. You must have been reading my mind.

I've played quite a bit of 3/6, and my love of the game tended to depend on whether I was on up or down. I could go on incredible streaks ... both ways. And as you said, much depended on time of day/week. Overall, I was profitable, but with high variance, which makes it difficult to tell whether my results were skill or luck-driven.

So after going through the up-down for several months, I decided to back off and go back to 2/4. Like you, I am solidly profitable at 2/4, with much lower variance.

But while 2/4 is profitable, I yearn to move up to 3/6. My plan is to continue at 2/4 to show positive cash flow on the bankroll, say 3-4 days a week playing 2/4 should show a positive trend in the bankroll.

1-2 days a week, I'll allow myself to play 3/6. Hopefully I will win at 3/6 with low variance (as I think my skills have improved), but even if I lose some big ones, hopefully I will still be making money on 2/4 to psychologically cushion the pain.

That's at least the plan. Right now the bankroll is at around $4000, which is more than adequate for a 3/6 game, but I want to get it to $5000 or more before I feel the casual disregard for money that is required to play objective poker.

PS--the worst part of this psychological handicap of mine is that our household income is really incredible. $5000 is pretty close to nothing for the household finances. Then again, I'm the guy who pays the coffee vendor in pennies & nickels that I save up during the week....