Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Ax suited question

TJ is referring to a full table in a multi table tournament, not an online SnG or 1 table Sattelite.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:08 PM

I will play them in MP-LP in levels 1 and 2 and fold them later.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. On a side note, has anyone played in Party's speed tourney? They are the stupidest things I've ever seen. Blinds go up every 3 minutes. It takes 3 minutes to play 2 hands!!! I played in one for the first and last time last night. 1500 entries and 700 were out in the first 30 minutes. Anyone who plays those is insane, because if you don't double up every 10-20 minutes, you will blind out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played in one today and finished 38/957. The thing about those things is that stalling when you hit the money is going to get you very, very far. I played only about six hands all tourney, and two double ups plus a strategic use of the time bank were enough to ride from slightly out of the money all the way up. If not for a slightly unlucky river on the final hand, I'd have easily made the top 20 (even assuming the cards didn't let me go for the final table.)

Basically, I think I like them a lot since once you hit 100'th place or so one or two hands will put you within reach of the significant part of the prize pool.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will play them in MP-LP in levels 1 and 2 and fold them later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have done that. I had Ah5h with three left in a comfortable 2nd place (~3500 to ~2000). Got in a raising war with the chip leader (who had JJ) and ended up 3rd.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:49 PM

I mean that in the early going, not on the bubble or later.

On the bubble, A5s (and A5o) are all in hands first in, though you can't call with them. You might be able to raise/fold if the blinds are very, very low, but at something like the 200/400 or 300/600 level, with 2K chips you should be all in.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TJ is referring to a full table in a multi table tournament, not an online SnG or 1 table Sattelite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it matter? Just because in a multi-table tournament you're not short-handed until the final table, and thus feel less pressure from the blinds? Or is there another difference that I'm missing?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:01 AM

The kind of tournaments TJ plays in don't usually have a lot of multiway pots. Usually there is a raise and either everyone folds, someone calls, or someone reraises. Early in SNGs there are frequently a lot of limpers and raise callers.

TJ says you can limp or call a raise with Axs from late position if there are already two limpers or one raise caller in the pot.