Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: poker plays looked down upon?? or are ppl jealous

Hey, money never matters.

As long as you have it.

LOL.

Just kidding -- as regards you at least, or anyone specific, bicyclekick.

I have known quite a few gold-diggers and quite a few rich guys in my time, though, and have little doubt that though the fellas thought their girls liked them "anyway," regardless of money, they were often kidding themselves. Or let's just call it "exaggerating." Your jokes are funnier, you're smarter, much better looking, more personable, etc., when you've got a little cash going. Natural selection at its best and worst, at the same time.

As to the thrill of big wads of cash -- it's definitely there. There's a reason there are all those movie scenes of people rolling around on the bed with fistfulls of cash. Heck, some people like a new tie so much they take it to bed with them the day they get it.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:34 PM

im 23 and i am awinning poker player
Old 10-04-2004, 04:38 PM

Right blarg. That's why I'm glad we started dating before hand...when I was a poor college student like everyone else.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus my shift-key is broken, and I'm too lazy to write out long words like "people" and "because".
Old 10-04-2004, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus my shift-key is broken, and I'm too lazy to write out long words like "people" and "because".

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:00 PM

Default my experience...

i usually just say i started my own business and try to keep it at that. my friends who i play in home games with know im a pro, which really sucks because i never get any action. but with 5 cent/10 cent blinds and a 10 dollar buy in i am not too worried. guys usually are pretty envious of me not having to work for a boss, but i cant imagine that girls would do anything but frown on it, which is why i usually try to keep it mum around them.

rj
Old 10-04-2004, 07:34 PM

I actually have the perfect cover since I used to be a self-employed contractor for the Federal Gov. working odd hours and out of my home usually.

I highly recommend going this route. Nobody will notice the transition. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2004, 07:55 PM

I might begin referring to myself as an "Entertainer." I mean, what do we do while playing, besides entertain the fish when they suck out on us and keep on coming back for more?

Some days people want to pay for your entertainment, and some days they don't (i.e. variance, which is one hell of a client).
Old 10-04-2004, 08:47 PM

Default entertainer i like that

hi
Old 10-04-2004, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by a friend but i got pissed off, others tell me i got a kick ass job, but i also notice when we are in home games ppl always want me to lose and will say stuff like i dont work for my money

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like jealousy from other people if anything else. You might want to cross-post this to the Pyschology section too.

The thing with poker is that you must understand EVERYONE wants you to lose. Someone has to lose, right? If no one loses, who wins?

Be glad they hate you, because it proves you are doing something right which translates to winning. If they are actually happy to see you and are very friendly it usually means you're a fish. No one is ever happy to see me in the cardroom. I take it as a big compliment and testament that I'm a solid player.

Keep studying the game and yourself. If you give up so easily then you might as well find a different hobby. If it truly bothers you too much about what other people think, then I suggest you find a different "profession."