Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 08:46 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Treading water online

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing for around 12 months, at limits from $1-$2 to, more recently, $4-$8 and $5-10. I have noticed that I can consistently beat the games for $20 - $80 per hour, depending on the limit and type of game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a unsustainable win rate at low limits. You need to adjust your expecatations to realistic levels. Focus more on long term results not on rushes (good and bad). What's your win rate overall? Your problem with tilting after bad beats oblivously needs to be corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]

$20-$80/hr at 1/2-5/10 certainly isn't unsustainable online
Old 09-28-2004, 08:58 PM

The nominal online bankroll is 300BB for the limit your playing and more if your multi-tabling, say about 500BB.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The nominal online bankroll is 300BB for the limit your playing and more if your multi-tabling, say about 500BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's the case that multitabling would require a larger bankroll. Your swings per hand or per 100 hands would stay the same, but your swings per unit of time would actually go down when multitabling.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:04 PM

You're general mental approach to poker needs to change. I suspect you're not in the right frame of mind even before you're losing sessions. You seem to focus entirely on day to day results, not on simply playing better than your opponents.

Read Al Schoonmaker's book The Psychology of poker, and his articles at cardplayer.com (click magazine, authors, then his name).

Good luck
Old 09-28-2004, 10:12 PM

People are saying that 80$ isnt sustainable between 1/2-5/10, but they arent asking how many tables you are playing. 6 tables = 600 hands/hour (6-max), 20$/100 @ 5/10 is 120$/hr. BUT what i think you are experiencing is fluctuations, you need to log a few months worths of hands @ 5 hours/week to see what your true winrate is.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:20 PM

I like how you say you win $20-$80 per hour, apparently not including the times you lose. My win rate would be much higher than it is now if I didn't count losing sessions either.

Don't worry about results right now, worry about play. Have you read a beginner's poker book? Post hands here that troubled or otherwise confused you. Be prepared for some big swings--that's the #1 thing I think most new players don't appreciate when they start playing seriously, especially online, where it's harder to BS yourself.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:06 PM

Not a useful post this one, but just felt I should say thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread. It was started as a 'bad luck' moan, and I hadn't expected anything more than "Stop whining, LOSER!" - the sort of replies I've seen on any other poker forums.

Comments have been taken on board... cheers guys. (And gals, maybe?)
Old 09-29-2004, 04:15 PM

Turns create large purple orifices that can only be flaggelated in an intelligent manner by rodents.

- Jim
Old 09-29-2004, 04:26 PM

Absolute minimum for a non renewable bankroll it 150 Big bets.

Most players here play with between 300 and 500 big bets.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:35 PM

Your swings per hand or per 100 hands would stay the same, but your swings per unit of time would actually go down when multitabling.

First part is right. Second part is wrong. Every hand you play adds to your variance. It doesn't matter if you play them sequentially, or all at once.