Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 05:02 AM

Default Re: An Interesting No Limit Question

If the river is a likely scare card for both players, and your opponent has position and frequently bets scare cards if checked to him, then it might be good to bet so you aren't faced with a large bet, who would be difficult to call.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:36 AM

ummm....

well, to be totally honest...I'm not entirely sure what the right answer is....and I don't have Paul Phillips win record, or a WSOP trophy...(though I have a BFG that will put a nice hole in a car engine block should need be)

I can think of only one decent reason why I would fire out a bet on the river..

1. - to show my cards (a bluff or weak hand) and establish a pattern in player's minds as to how I play. This is especially applicable in online poker, where I can't just turn the cards over and muck on the flop/turn, but must go to the river to show losing cards -

for example, I'll show 39 offsuit to show that I'm a bad/bluffing player, hence getting me action in later hands/rounds from weaker hands....

or perhaps I exhibit a continual pattern of betting flush draws...this makes the ones I don't bet later devestating to an observant player who thinks I may not have made a flush cause I didn't bet my 4 card draw - but I won't get a chance if I don't go to the river to show it -

this is only really applicable in online poker, and is really as applicable to limit as it is to NL poker, so I don't see how it's the correct answer for live play as I would imagine anyone could just show the cards as they muck them in a live game.

RB
Old 09-24-2004, 06:38 AM

"I could take a stab at a serious answer but I'd rather make fun of the idea that there are exactly two answers to this question and one of them is "it's worth risking a bet to keep from having to show your hand." "

I'm not fond of that answer either but it does have a lot more plausibility to it than the way out answers you provided. I could even see making this bet myself for this reason in extreme circumstances.

Meanwhile rory and El Diablo were basically right except they could have been a little more precise. Perhaps someone else will be.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:43 AM

when a player will almost always bet the river big when checked to, but will never raise you on a bluff (or more precisely, a hand you beat). and your bet would be considerably smaller than his river bet if checked to.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize for any trollish tendencies but it's awfully tough to compete with this level of value-add.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, I made Paul Phillips angry enough to check my posts. And I thought you were a busy man. I get the feeling that you think you're one of the best players in the world, so I can imagine you sitting there at home complaining to your wife that ESPN and FSN didn't invite you to TOC and PSI.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ooh, I made Paul Phillips angry enough to check my posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I supposed to be angry? Sorry to say that the emotion involved in this timeless exchange has not been nearly so dramatic.

[ QUOTE ]
And I thought you were a busy man.

[/ QUOTE ]

...despite all evidence.

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling that you think you're one of the best players in the world, so I can imagine you sitting there at home complaining to your wife that ESPN and FSN didn't invite you to TOC and PSI.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's so cruel, playing to my insecurities like that! You said english is your second language; are "devastating barbs" your first? That must be a tough country you come from. You got me: oh what I would do to get some poker recognition. Having hit the nail on the head with such merciless precision, perhaps you could advise me how to achieve my dreams.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:49 AM

When the opponent will bet based on game theory.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:51 AM

Headsup battle? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You got me: oh what I would do to get some poker recognition. Having hit the nail on the head with such merciless precision, perhaps you could advise me how to achieve my dreams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep buying those Phil Hellmuth books and chips and you'll learn how to play poker soon enough.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And it's "who" don't post elsewhere. We're not furniture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you ever read "A note about the English....." section of their books?