Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: What is the best poker play you\'ve seen on TV?

Phil vs. Tony was fake.

I really really liked Ted Forrest's play from WPT season 1 with AJ. Alan G. open raised UTG with JJ, and Doyle moved all in with Q8 or something. Ted re-raised all in thinking that Alan couldn't call and knowing that Doyle was bluffing. Ted was right and Alan shouldn't have called, but he did. Tough luck for Ted, a great play gone bad.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:51 PM

what the hell, havent you guys seen any poker on tv prior to 2004? jesus christ

anyway here's one good call and one good laydown

the year noel furlong won it, at the final table, erik seidel called a huge river bet from alan goehring with ace high... and won

in 1983, amarillo slim folded a set of sixes when tom mcevoy moved in on the turn with a set of aces... slim revealed his pocket sixes to gauge mcevoy's reaction, and tom turned over one of his aces... slim sensed something was up and allowed himself to be timed out

mike
Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the year noel furlong won it, at the final table, erik seidel called a huge river bet from alan goehring with ace high... and won

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think that's one of the great calls of all-time. You are right that it was ace-high, but there's ace-high that looks good, and there's ace-high that looks like THIS:

When Alan Goehring counted down Seidel and bet $150,000 after the river card hit, Erik thought for nearly five minutes before calling all-in. The board came 6c 8h 2c Js 5s. Seidel was right, Goehring had nothing. Erik’s A Q played over Alan’s Q 10.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:28 PM

WPT EVent-1st year but don't remember the speciific event. Scotty Nyguen was in a hand against John Hennigan. Hennigan flopped trip eights and Scotty had Ace high. He bet out and Hennigan smooth called. The turn missed Scotty again and he bluffed at the pot again and Hennigan smooth called him again.

The River brought an Ace and now Scotty checks. Hennigan makes a healthy bet and Scotty stews for a while. He verbally says I got there but I don't think it's any good and then he laid it down. Might not have been the play of all time but I was very impressed with that laydown.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:38 PM

that world series gave us that incredible call by seidel and also the inexplicable call by furlong with ace-deuce when he broke huck seed (who was 2nd in chips at the time and trying a steal)

my favorite hand i've seen on tv/video is when tuna lund and matloubi were going heads up for the championship... tuna with a-9 and matloubi with tens... flop comes nine high... matloubi bets, tuna raises... matloubi takes about ten years and moves in... tuna then goes into the tank for another ten years and calls... turn card is an ace and tuna is one card away from being the world champ... matloubi rivers the ten... chip reese who was announcing at the time called it the greatest hand in the history of the world series

mike
Old 09-23-2004, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WPT EVent-1st year but don't remember the speciific event. Scotty Nyguen was in a hand against John Hennigan. Hennigan flopped trip eights and Scotty had Ace high. He bet out and Hennigan smooth called. The turn missed Scotty again and he bluffed at the pot again and Hennigan smooth called him again.

The River brought an Ace and now Scotty checks. Hennigan makes a healthy bet and Scotty stews for a while. He verbally says I got there but I don't think it's any good and then he laid it down. Might not have been the play of all time but I was very impressed with that laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an eeeeeeeeasy laydown. All he can beat is a bluff and hennigan has called a bet on every street and now bets when he could just check it down. I've had a tougher time laying down K-high than I would have had folding in that spot.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: john duthie...

Phil Gordon was very dismissive of being referred to as a pro on that show, if you remember correctly. He stated on more than one occassion there that he didn't really belong in the group classified as pros...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:18 PM

I thought Daniel Negreanu's bluff of Freddy Deeb heads up in the tournament at the Plaza was a great one. Daniel represented the flush and got Freddy to lay down A-K with ace high. Showing Freddy the bluff put him on tilt and basically assured a tournament win.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's an eeeeeeeeasy laydown. All he can beat is a bluff and hennigan has called a bet on every street and now bets when he could just check it down. I've had a tougher time laying down K-high than I would have had folding in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that situation he can logically beat 67 bluff and thats it so yeah K high no different really.

Out of interested Paul, have you ever written anything on the big overbet call you made against Mel Judah with the bottom end of the straight in that first WPT event season 2? I kind of felt that was very weird given the pot size and fact you could only beat a bluff there too - he surely isn't overbetting anything else for value and there wasn't much in the pot to mind him bluffing with everything. Also added the fact Mel seemed to be playing too tight (at least from the TV coverage), I felt you would be a favourite to win that headsup.

If it has been answered already, anyone got a link?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, its a little less easy of a laydown when you read the post correctly.

Scotty had ace high on the flop and turn, and then the river brings an ace, giving him a pair.

Still, I'm sure scotty is smart enough to smell a trap, so it isn't that impressive of a laydown given what he is capable of.