Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Crossing the line? A notes based decision

Nice play
Old 09-22-2004, 06:11 PM

ATo Test

Did you post this just so I could post this link?

[ QUOTE ]
where can you draw the line with notes based three-bets?

[/ QUOTE ]
The answer is 8.6%
Old 09-22-2004, 09:56 PM

i almost only play 6 max but my preflop raise % is 18% is that too high? raise first in is 10.73%.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:40 AM

Hey Mike - depends on how many hands you have played. FWIW, this is higher than mine used to be. I think you might be spraying a bit, but then, some successful players that I know play slightly more hands than I do. But from what I've seen of most of the best ones(who are also very aggressive) I think 15-16% is closer to optimal.
-James
Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 AM

it's 10,000 hands what other stats could i compare it to to know if it's too loose or to aggro?

mike
Old 09-23-2004, 12:46 AM

I think that vpip and W$@SD are truly telling. You should never be cold-calling(but you know that) - and I would avoid open raising or isolating with hands like K9 or KT from places earlier than the cutoff. I almost never openlimped unless the table was perfect. Most importantly, I think, is what is your VPIP? Because you are probably raising most of the hands you play(besides out of the blinds), your pfr will go down a little if your vpip does as well - but like I said, some of the top players play slightly looser than I do, but who knows who wins more.
-James
Old 09-23-2004, 12:29 PM

my vp$ip is 28.6 my w$@sd is 50.41. is that good or bad?

what does vp$ip mean?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:51 PM

(V)oluntarily (P)ut ($) (I)n (P)ot, which basically boils down to the % of hands you play, excluding the blinds. Took me a while to figure out too :-)

I'm not a poker tracker buff, but 28.6% seems high to me, unless you've been catching cards! Anyone else have thoughts on his %?

Regards,
KoW
Old 09-23-2004, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You should probably have 3-bet.

I don't get why this stuff seems to confound people. Hand values are entirely relative, both before and after the flop. It shouldn't make you uncomfortable to 3-bet with J9s against someone who is raising 80% of his hands or to fold AQs against someone who is raising 2% of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This situation wasn't cut and dried because villain was not a true maniac, but rather just seemed to be raising periodically with very bad hands - certainly not even near 10% of the hands, though. Here, he happend to hold KK but I flopped an ace. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Against a certified maniac, I'd have no problem 3-betting, especially if it got me heads-up. Conversely, I don't think there's anyone at the local rooms against whom I'd fold AQs for two bets but have for three.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Hard for me to tell when you are kidding mike but I think you are serious here. The numbers a solid online player will carry for VPIP will be distictly different for the full ring vs shorthanded players. 28.6 is too high (you are too loose preflop even with your superior postflop skills) if you are playing full ring. (no real number is set in stone but the guys I respect the most around here live somewhere like 18 plus or minus 4. Shorthanded 29 seems about right but you really need to get one of the regular shorthanded guys to comment here. Your w$@sd is a tad on the low side implying you are calling down too much. How many hands do you have in your database?