Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Turn Raises -- How do you handle them?

Hi Jeffro,

Yes I've been working on it lately. I have a working version that works on Party's emailed hand histories, then they go and record them on the hard disk in a new format! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Been working on supporting the new format.

- Tony
Old 10-18-2004, 03:59 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

You left out position, the previous action, and a description of the player(s). You also failed to mention if your hand can improve. You have many more variables you can use to make decission with and they are all important.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:12 PM

All else being equal, I fold most non-TPTK hands if I don't think I have other outs and the pot is relatively small. And I think I'm saving a ton o' money.

That said, I will call down once in awhile, especially if the player is unknown to me and seems to be aggressive -- could always be a semibluff after all. I've caught a couple guys that way, and called turned raises I never would against the average 5/10 players.

But 75%+ of the time, I'm laying those down if I don't have a superb hand. (With an overpair, though, I'll often three-bet if I think the guy might just doing it with TPTK.)
Old 10-18-2004, 06:00 PM

By definition, folding has 0 EV. But 0 EV is definitely better than the -EV you'll get by calling down with less than TPTK.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:58 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
You left out position, the previous action, and a description of the player(s). You also failed to mention if your hand can improve. You have many more variables you can use to make decission with and they are all important

[/ QUOTE ]

eh? Just minor details.

Don't let them push you around with their obvious bluffs. Reraise it up and see what happens at showdown. Who knows, you may knock them off the nut hand by sheer image alone.

b
Old 10-19-2004, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you respond to turn raises in either a heads up situations or with two opponents? Specifically, if you are holding top pair/top kicker or an over pair to the board after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the player who raised.

[ QUOTE ]
If the board is non threatening, do you always assume a set or two pair and go into a call/check/call mode? Do you ever re-raise with top pair/top kicker or an overpair heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If board is threatening, do you ever lay it down to a turn raise? Heads up? With 2 opponents?

Does anyone always fold to a turn raise in these situations, when it is heads up and the pot is small? And if so, do you feel it is +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
For sake of arguement, lets assume this is online with no particular read on your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Online, you can make notes, have PT stats. That's better than reads in a lot of ways.

If you want better answers, you need and I emphasize NEED player descriptions. Without them it's like finding a needle in a haystack..
Old 10-19-2004, 04:23 PM

It depends. If there is no obvious draw and a guy raises into two players or more on the turn, you can most likely fold your TP and watch him show a two pair or set on the river.

If it's just a single opponent that can get tricky with draws you have to call him down.