Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Did I play pocket Jacks well?

tough spot to be in, personally i hate these type of decisions, it seems that i always get it wrong. you dont say how big of a chip leader you were but if you were not in a position to bully everyone I would much prefer to see a flop before committing a lot of chips.

my guess is that UTG calls with almost any hand that he legit raised with, the BB will likely fold unless he has a better hand than you and the button will probably fold without a better hand. given this i dont want to commit 1/4 of my stack so i would probably reraise to about 150-200 or just call.

Pat
Old 09-27-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Did I play pocket Jacks well?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that dislikes this situation.

I had a little over 2,000 chips and I had been bullying the table. The blinds were just going up so slow, that it wasn't paying off as well as it should. Every half hour they were increasing by 1/2. 1/2 -> 2/4 -> 3/6 etc... So we had played for 5 hrs when the blinds were at 10/20. Starting stacks were 200, and the chip counts when this hand came up were approx. 100/200/400/500/1800/2000.

In retrospect, I think a raise of 250 would have been perfect. I would have only been called/raised by he BB or Button if they had a better hand. If I was re-raised I could have let it go, despite pot odds. But how should it have been played post-flop is what troubles me now. If called I think I have to lay down against any over card, and pay off the Q's if no overcard comes.

Jason