Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 02:42 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Go

boohoo go players are very clever and elite for finding the game yet they can't play online just as they do with poker
Old 09-18-2004, 01:27 PM

bruiser, there are a bunch of guys (read nerds) that get together in the blue wall like every wednesday or something and all they do is play go.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:21 PM

Astroglide, I don't like playing poker online, I like playing it live... so, good point.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:39 AM

I really like go also. in my neck of the woods (nyc) I've had a hard time finding people to play with that don't totally kick my ass every single time. I play the computer sometimes and it kicks my ass also.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-19-2004, 02:30 AM

well i've always wanted to play go, but, as seems to be a trend in this thread, had no one to play against...

sounds like online is all that's left for real possibilities... either that or try and start a go league in your town...

though that would seem to me to just be asking for people to laugh at you...

best of luck though...
Old 09-19-2004, 05:09 PM

There are actually some Go clubs in some places. I was surprised to find there's one in Los Angeles, for example. It is a big city, though.

Go is a great game. More intellectually stimulating than poker, and it has a wonderful, challenging nature in the same way chess does of demanding that you not only are doing tactical things successfully, but trying to work on strategic considerations with every play too. Influencing the board, creating pockets of safety...a lot goes on at once. It's very challenging and fun trying to combine multiple complex considerations, some which may only really show their true depth much later, at the same time.

Everyone tends to like what they're used to more than what's new or foreign, and Americans are not exactly known for being non-chauvinistic, so many of us write off anything new instantly as inferior by definition if it comes from somewhere else. You miss out on a lot that way though ... great food, great writing, great games too. Go is definitely a world-class game.