Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: AQs out of position

I think SpicyF is funny.

At least lead the river.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:22 PM

Something just isn't right
I can feel it inside
the truth isn't far behind me
you can't deny
when I turn the lights out
when I close my eyes
reality overcomes me
i'm living a lie
Old 09-11-2004, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best play (given we know his cards, and the board) is o check-call the flop, bet out the turn and fold to a raise. If called bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with folding this hand on the turn. Most party opponents, even relatively tight ones, include KQ and AJ in their reraising hands in this situation. And given the number of high cards out the big pairs are relatively unlikely.

AA - 1 combo; KK - 3 combos; QQ 1 combo; AK 6 combos
= 11 total

KQ - 6 combos; AJ - 8 combos
= 14 total

If your opponent will raise with KQ and AJ on the turn then you are still a favorite even when raised, so considering the size of the pot folding would be a very expensive error. If your raise were from EP then perhaps KQ and AJ could be eliminated from the holdings of some players, but I would still not fold the hand against an unknown.

I do agree that betting the turn is the best play to prevent JJ and TT from taking a free card. Given the high cards out these are very likely hands (12 combos) assuming he would bet them on the flop. Given that your bet looks somewhat suspicious, you will sometimes even induce a "frustration raise" from JJ and TT (which would of course be a disaster if you planned on folding) or get a river call from them also.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:13 PM

No check raise? I would try for a check-raise on both the turn and river.

You went for a double, the wrong one!
Old 09-11-2004, 05:53 PM

People have been saying that you should check raise on the flop.
Good thing about this play:
To force the guy who called cold out.
Bad thing about this play:
If the 3 better has AK or a better hand that you he is probably going to re-raise you

After analyzing the 2 options I believe checking a call is a far superior strategy because 1) giving a card at a lesser price to the guy who called cold is not bad, considering there are no possibilities for overcards. Of course gut shots can apply, but I believe that there is a great chance that you could be against the AK, because the guy 3 bet after there was a caller ruling out then classic 3 bet on a small or medium pair. AK is the most common 3 bet hand preflop

I think you played the hand well. I think that it is a check and call situation
Old 09-11-2004, 08:10 PM

I like a check-raise on flop. That way you get the middle guy out, and if you get reraised you can be fairly sure the late postion player has AK and possibly AA or KK.

After checkraising the flop, I like betting out the turn if my checkraise was merely called. But the tough question is what do you do if he three bets you on the flop. Do you let it go on the flop or do you go into check call mode? I think you release it and do the same if your bet on the turn is raised.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:23 PM

I think that Knockwurst brings up a good question, if you should check raise the flop, and if the guy 3 bets it..should you let it go??? After all with the 3 bet you would be assuming that you have No outs other than QQ (and maybe not even that)
Old 09-12-2004, 12:42 AM

If hero is confident that he's beat enough to just check-call on that board, he should not check-raise just to knock out the middle guy. He will usually get three-bet by better hands, so he's screwing himself. If you want to knock the middle guy out for cheaper, bet out on the flop, he'll know it'll likely be raised and maybe three bet back to him and fold his crappy draws.

Again, bet the river, aces up is too good of a hand to get checked down. Maybe he's a tighty that will fear JT and just call with AK and up.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best play (given we know his cards, and the board) is o check-call the flop, bet out the turn and fold to a raise. If called bet the river.

This might sound unorthodox, but given the information we know, I think this is the best way to "balance" the hands win/loss-ratio in this example.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem I have with this play is that the other player doesn't know you either (since you don't know him). That given, decent players on party will be conditioned to raise with a lot of holdings, many of which AQ is beating at this point. They'll raise because the typical hand played by a donkey (the majority of Party players) in this fashion is either any ace, any 2 pair, and any draw.

So, it's a good idea if he thinks you're good and will put the brakes on or only raise with AK/JT/set here, but fails miserably the times where he takes you for a typical donk and pops you with AJ.

~D
Old 09-12-2004, 01:04 AM

What range of hands do you think your opponent could have that checkraising makes sense?

-Michael