Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 AM

Default Re: How many hands do you fold before you move tables?

You went a full 3 orbits without playing a hand? The hell you say.

~D
Old 09-09-2004, 08:01 AM

I tend to move tables if its getting to be 3 people to most flops or if hands are getting to be folded to the blinds 2-3 times a rotation.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:01 AM

If I fold three hands in a row, I get up and leave. There is nothing more frustrating than having to be patient. New setup!

-Michael
Old 09-09-2004, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many hands do you fold before you move tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this like How many lick does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets find out. A one..... A two...... A threee.... THREE.

The world may never know. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2004, 09:33 AM

You can earn a living at the 0.10-0.20 tables?

-Michael
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Us newbies hear about guys 'crushing' games, and making all this money it is easy to overlook how much folding and patience it takes to win consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crushing games happens in two ways:

1) Maniac plays every hand possible, raises & reraises non stop, entire family pot table calls maniac to the river, maniac spikes his lucky card and takes down a 44 BB pot. Maniac is a fool and will loose in the long run, but for the day he just got lucky.

2) Smart & educated 2+2er is paitently waiting for the right cards to play. The table plays so bad that nobody notices that Hero rarely playes a hand unless he has an edge with his cards pre-flop and good position. 2+2 Hero pushes the small edge to the river when it allows on big multi-way pots, which sometimes works and sometimes does not. This gives the percieved effect of the Hero being loose - and creates a scenario when the rest of the table blindly call to the river like mice when the Hero raises and re-raises to continually push the edge of his winning expectation. Hence result - Hero plays only premium hands, knows when to fold early, and knows when it is wise to call down at the river for one more big bet even if he expects that he is beat. 2+2 Hero therefore crushes the table!

Crushing can be a misleading term..... I hope the paragraph above helps you feel better [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

TT in da club [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2004, 01:19 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Well, one way is I have SSHE sitting open in front of me and I am not playing poor hands out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which could mean you don't know why you play certain types of hands in certain spots only relying on a 'cheat sheet'. So his question is still somewhat valid. If the table is good, the number of hands you're playing, if playing 'correctly', is irrelevant. Why would you move from a good table of loose players? Because you haven't played a hand in 3 orbits? Yeah, right. That's a great reason. My guess is you have some holes in your game in thinking this way. Impatience is an enemy of playing good. Learn to redirect it during hands you're not involved in.

3 orbits is nothing.

Study more preflop play so you don't have to have SSHE open in front of you so you can then concentrate more on postflop play.

b
Old 09-09-2004, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering if runs of bad cards like that were common.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have a run like this for quite awhile. Much longer than just 3 orbits.

It's part of what makes holdem such a fun game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

b
Old 09-09-2004, 01:29 PM

My record is 2 1/2 hours in a B&M without calling the big blind. I completed the small blind a few times but didn't see the flop outside of the blinds for 2 1/2 hours, then I got pocket kings and they got busted. I ended up a little a head for the session but it was a long boring stretch of 5-2 off suit, etc.

Hands come around a lot faster online so I never really noticed how long before I called the big blind online.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. The problem is I'm getting dealt nuttin and the fish are feeding on themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

If seeing the bad players drag pots back and forth bothers you...

Think of it this way. Say 3 terrible players are passing the pot. Those 3 are usually involved in those pots. The pot avg's about say, 5 BBs a crack. Those 3 arent making much. They are passing the pot, which is relatively the same size, back and forth while the rake is winning. Slowly draining them.

Wait for your spots. Like a sniper. It's not about who's in most pots, or who wins the most pots. Many times, the one who wins the most pots loses overall.

Some sessions on these tables, as good as they are, you're going to lose. Frustrating? Yes, it will be. But what are you going to do? Leave a good game? Play more hands to get your 'share' like the bad players do? There will be sessions where you will get many playable hands in a given amount of time to where you'll be wondering if you're playing too loose. Savor those sessions, they don't seem to happen near often enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh well, beats workin'

[/ QUOTE ]

b