Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: John Kerry You\'re Busted

[ QUOTE ]
As is talk of an "ownership society."

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally wrong Andy. It's called taking a big political risk. FWIW you won't find any Congressman beating the drums for Social Security reform in the last 10 years that has stuck around for any length of time in Congress (I can't remember any beating the drum at all but maybe someone did and didn't get re-elected). Remember Greenspan calling for Social Security reform during Congressional testimony I believe last summer? All kinds of headlines for a day but nobody took the ball and ran with it so to speak. When one discusses changing Social Security in a drastic way, it's called political courage, Social Security is the number one "sacred cow" in Congress. Medicare/medicaid IMO is the number 2 "sacred cow" or close to it. And Bush's "ownership society" addresses that as well.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:55 PM

In all fairness Republican congressman don't want to go anywhere near Social Security reform and Medicare/medicaid reform which Bush is starting to put on the table with his "ownership socieity" idea.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:05 PM

I was not commenting on the ownership society, but on the notion that the Democrats are for big and more powerfull government and that Republicans are for smaller government that stays out of your business.

Sorry to dissapoint you , but I did read the article. Its a very nice concept, but as the author points out the President did not give any details as to how all this is going to work. It is simply ideology.

I suppose you just have to have faith that whatever actions Bush takes will be in service of this goal and will accomplish the goal. I am sceptical.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:21 PM

And W does care about the budget deficit?

In his four years of office, the budget has gone from a reasonably large surplus to a massive deficit. And in the midst of this massive deficit, W proposed his 15 billion dollar Mars plan and his 2 billion dollar program for the promotion of marriage. Bush isn't really a free-trader either - remember those steel tariffs?

Now, I consider myself a Republican, and I'm not a Bush hater. But if you are trying to disparage Kerry by saying that he is a big government man and Bush isn't, then you are barking up the wrong tree - both are big government men.

Will
Old 09-07-2004, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was not commenting on the ownership society, but on the notion that the Democrats are for big and more powerfull government and that Republicans are for smaller government that stays out of your business

[/ QUOTE ]

And what does have to do with Kerry's pandering about the budget deficit? That almost looks like a gratuitus shot to distract from Kerry's attempts to deceive the public.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to dissapoint you , but I did read the article. Its a very nice concept, but as the author points out the President did not give any details as to how all this is going to work. It is simply ideology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say otherwise? Kerry's supporting the status quo, a status quo that won't work, a status quo that needs reform. Kerry doesn't have the political will or the political courage to tackle that issue.

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you just have to have faith that whatever actions Bush takes will be in service of this goal and will accomplish the goal. I am sceptical.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't you could actually try formulating your own ideas and seeing how they mesh with what the pols want to do. I agree a lot more details need to be forthcoming but at least Bush has the guts to put in the table. BTW Social Security reform along the lines of what Bush is proposing will benifit younger folks IMO that don't have a long history of being in the work force.

[ QUOTE ]
I was not commenting on the ownership society, but on the notion that the Democrats are for big and more powerfull government and that Republicans are for smaller government that stays out of your business

[/ QUOTE ]

And what does have to do with Kerry's pandering about the budget deficit? That almost looks like a gratuitus shot to distract from Kerry's attempts to deceive the public.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say otherwise? Kerry's supporting the status quo, a status quo that won't work, a status quo that needs reform. Kerry doesn't have the political will or the political courage to tackle that issue.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't you could actually try formulating your own ideas and seeing how they mesh with what the pols want to do. I agree a lot more details need to be forthcoming but at least Bush has the guts to put it on the table. BTW Social Security reform along the lines of what Bush is proposing will benifit younger folks IMO that don't have a long history of being in the work force.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't you could actually try formulating your own ideas and seeing how they mesh with what the pols want to do. I agree a lot more details need to be forthcoming but at least Bush has the guts to put it on the table. BTW Social Security reform along the lines of what Bush is proposing will benifit younger folks IMO that don't have a long history of being in the work force.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:46 PM

No political risk whatsoever. It's Bush's last campaign and Cheney's too. I'm not denying, desipte my natural curmudegeonly distrust of all politicians, that there are cores of true belief in Bush's compassionate conservatism and Kerry's liberalism; but this is an election and they want to be elected. If there are unpalatable details in either's proposals, they'll endeavor to hide or deny them. Let's see exactl what the ownership society entails.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:50 PM

"Not for decades will a Republican candidate be able to run on an agenda of broad-based tax cuts."

Bull. Hogwash. Poppycock. That's EXACTLY what Bush is running on now. He claims that Kerry is running on a tax-increase program. The biggest cheer during his acceptance speech was when he said he wanted to make the tax cuts permanent. He said right at the outset his philosophy entails limiting government and cutting back taxes. He called Kerry a tax-and-spend guy. It's his core issue. And it will always be the Republican candidate's core issue when the Democratic opponent is a liberal.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 PM

Default We have a three strikes rule here in California, you know.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]