Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Gus Hansen\'s Master Class (PSI on FSN

He won 2 WPT events....and made the final table 1 or 2 other times. I also believe he is the WPT's all-time money leader (or at least he was at some point).
He also has a handful of non-WPT wins to his credit I believe.

I believe that Lederer, Ivey, Brunson, Greenstein and others will tell you straight-up that Hansen is a VERY tough player and a force to be reckoned with.

I didn't see the final episode today (may catch a re-run later) but I suspect that the hands that Gus played that were supposedly 'so easy to play that any idiot could have played them' were anything but easy.

He does seem to have outstanding post-flop skills and when he pushes with garbage he always has his opponent wondering 'does he have it or doesn't he?' and he knows how to use his opponents trepidation to his advantage when the timing is right.

He DID have a pretty nice suck-out earlier in the event though when his KQ busted Lederer's AT (I think that's what it was). But almost all tourney winners catch some break along the way. I don't think Gus is terribly special in this regard.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:39 AM

Get over it. He's not lucky. It's not an abberation. His post flop play is so good that he can afford to play marginal holdings, and when he has a real hand, he's much more likely to get paid off.

Just beacuse you don't understand his success doesn't make it luck.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:53 AM

I think the single biggest contributing factor to Gus's win (at least in the last episode) was Barry letting himself get run over every pot.

Assuming we saw a significant percentage of hands in that run... I also questioned Barry's "bet into the LAR" strategy.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:49 AM

Seeing Hansen play the early part of tournament (straightforwardly?) would be extremely interesting to watch.

Has anyone here observed him closely in the early part of a tournament? Please post any good Hansen links.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He won 2 WPT events....and made the final table 1 or 2 other times. I also believe he is the WPT's all-time money leader (or at least he was at some point).
He also has a handful of non-WPT wins to his credit I believe.

I believe that Lederer, Ivey, Brunson, Greenstein and others will tell you straight-up that Hansen is a VERY tough player and a force to be reckoned with.

I didn't see the final episode today (may catch a re-run later) but I suspect that the hands that Gus played that were supposedly 'so easy to play that any idiot could have played them' were anything but easy.

He does seem to have outstanding post-flop skills and when he pushes with garbage he always has his opponent wondering 'does he have it or doesn't he?' and he knows how to use his opponents trepidation to his advantage when the timing is right.

He DID have a pretty nice suck-out earlier in the event though when his KQ busted Lederer's AT (I think that's what it was). But almost all tourney winners catch some break along the way. I don't think Gus is terribly special in this regard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Post Flop Skills?? Is that the Synonym for Luck? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2004, 02:28 PM

notice all the playa-hatas are newbies.

Gus is a fabulous playa and is exciting to watch. Sure he gets lucky alot, but that is poker. If he sucked so bad he would be eliminated early in every tournament he plays.

This Gus hatred almost rivals the hatred of Moneymaker. Can't wait until we see the finals of the WSOP and all the Raymer hata's come out of the woodwork.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay Rd 2 was master class then Rd 1 would have been play stupid, suckout on a couple of people then keep playing stupid but stop catching your miracle cards and get bounced from the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gus played his usual WPT game in Round 1. He busted out early, but he obviously had the other players off stride for a while. In his exit interview in Round 1, I got a very strong feeling that he knew that he had the others confused, and that he intended to make use of that in Round 2.

In the first half of Round 2, last week's show, Gus played a much more "standard pro" kind of game, pushing when he had the edge, and quickly built a big lead. This week, he took his big stack and went back to playing like Gus.

All of the above with the standard disclaimer about editing, but that's how it looked to me. If Gus did indeed make two major shifts in style in a single round, maybe he is better than many, myself included, give him credit for. All of that said, Gus is still the all-time suck-out god. I'd love to be either as good or as lucky as he seems to be.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:16 PM

I don't hate Gus Hansen. In fact I think he's one of a kind. I just wish I had the intestinal fortitude (again, Luck) he has. He's got it! With all of the TV exposure every Pro player knows each others moves. That's why most of them are going after Gus.

"Luck is like a spilled drink, eventually it dry's up"
Old 09-06-2004, 04:25 PM

Gus is ranked 94th on the cardplayer standings this year, with one final table.

Anyone know how many touranments he has played this year?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"BS" 99.9% of his so called skill is "Luck".

[/ QUOTE ]

99.9% of this statment is ignorant.

The .1% that isn't is the punctuation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What-ever.