Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Make it STOP!

[ QUOTE ]
the goal of an SNG is to finish in the money?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that the goal was to win it [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2004, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your hand is good enough to call a push, why don't you reraise to keep others from calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are so many variables... You may sense desperation (or just poor play) from the small stack and you call with a hand that you don't want to play for all your chips. Or maybe you are in the BB and you are getting the proper odds to call with a mediocre hand. There are many reasons to call (and not raise) when someone is all in pre-flop ahead of you.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:59 PM

I'm talking about callin a push from someone who is critically short stacked.

I also recognize that if you have a made hand, then you should milk it for all it's worth.

But I'm not seeing this from people with made hands. i'm seeing it from people holding poket J's when the flop is something like 5c 9h Ah.

Hell if I have a nut flush, or a full house or trips I'll play it too. But that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about someone calling a 200 chip all-in and drawing 50-50 with the all-in and then they bet at the pot.

It's a dumb play.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:29 PM

I will agree that there are many people betting at a dry side pot for no reason -- and those players drive us all crazy. But your original post was far more general. There are many reasons to continune playing a three-player hand when one of the players is all-in -- even late in an S&G and on the bubble. If a player has TPTK or better on the flop you can't blame him for protecting the hand.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:01 PM

JJ is a made hand and not particularly happy if KQ stays in whether the flop is A95 or T95. It's also very happy to make TT pay for staying in or make QQ fold. (I wouldn't bet it without position, but solely because the third guy is likely to have an ace.)

Again, if you don't do this it costs you money.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:26 AM

This is not a bad play at all. if I have QQ on a low, rainbow flop or hit top pair with AJs on a flop like J95, you'd better believe i'm about to push out the other tall stack. I don't need an over-card on the river spoiling my pot. I'll never make the move as a bluff, because i do believe it's to my advantage to see others eliminated, but if my hand is good but vulnerable (and certainly if i feel i have the short-stack beat) then expect an extremely large bet. Remember, you need all the chips to win - getting them whenever you can is your main goal. That is, unless coming third every time you lose a coin-flip in the money doesn't bug you.