Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: A9s UTG+1. Big pot.

The only close decision is whether or not to cap the turn imo. Depends how lag he was. You probably know better than me, so IŽll leave that one to you.

Playing it fast from the flop is clearly the best line. There arenŽt enough draws that you want to force out, that you can force out.

If it was A98, then waiting was probably better. Even more so if you two-pair where 98.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:40 PM

I play this the same way. Once I get 3-bet on the turn, I'm calling down, hoping I wasn't way behind AA the whole time. Or, hoping I didn't get hoed by AQ or QQ. I think capping the turn or raising the river would be reckless. Nicely played.

Derek
Old 08-31-2004, 01:32 PM

With 14SB on the flop, +4 (bettor, call, raise), there are 16 SB in the pot, everyone needs to put in 2SB to call. This is 8:1:

An unlikely backdoor straight (~1.5 outs - doesn't warrant a call).

Trips, 2 outs per hand (can't beat your two pair if their other card hits) Not worth a call.

Ace with higher kicker, (AT, AJ, AQ, AK) 3 outs each, doesn't warrant an 8:1 call (if that player knew what you had of course - and who is going to fold AT, AJ, AQ, AK when the card they were hoping for, the A flops?). but considering if they knew you were ahead, not worth a call.

Flush (backdoor): ~1.5 outs, see above

Flush: 9 outs. 38:9, ~4.2:1, worth the call.

Now, if you just call, that takes the pot up to 10.5 BB MAX. Everything that wasn't worth the call before still is not worth the call. If it is checked to you and you bet, the flush draw now has 11.5:1 to call, making it a very solid play. If you raise, the flush draw has a little better than 3:1 to call, making a call a mistake.

So, the flush draw is the only hand not protected against with a flop raise, waiting to the turn to raise will protect against all hands ... if you get bet into ... and if no one makes their hand on the turn because you let them in ... two pair (AT, AJ, AQ, AK) or trips, or opened up a backdoor flush.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:47 PM

If it is checked to you and you bet, the flush draw now has 11.5:1 to call, making it a very solid play. If you raise, the flush draw has a little better than 3:1 to call, making a call a mistake

I am not sure where you got the 3:1 number from but I have a hard time imagining you being able to induce a flush draw into making a mistake on the turn. Bison played his hand well, he has top two, gets value from jamming and denies pretty much everyone else (non-flush draws) the right price.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:03 PM

If it was A98, then waiting was probably better. Even more so if you two-pair where 98.

Ahhh now I see the err of my ways. No realistic draws that can be folded so why waste any time.

Good posts to all
And Nice hand Bison [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2004, 02:07 PM

haven't read any replies

but it seems like you MUST raise the flop, there aren't "many turn cards that you hate to see", you will get 7-1 on your raise!! plus LAG will probably 3 bet with worse hands

if turn 3better is really a LAG, then i say you cannot just call with 4 opponents in the hand, keep raising, any ace queen or draw is calling, don't you think your hand is good more than 20% of the time here?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:15 PM

I may have been a little unclear here. Let me rephrase it.

If it gets checked to hero and he bets, any flush draw is getting 11.5:1 from the pot. (There were 10.5, assuming everyone is in for 1 SB on the flop, so the flush draw would be correct to call) If it is bet to hero on the turn, and hero raises, there are now 10.5BB + 3BB = 13.5BB:2BB ... which leads to my elementary school math error ... 13.5/2 is not quite 3, no, in fact it is more around 6.75, making the flush draw correct to call.

this contradicts my first post, and can still use the odds to now show that the best play may be to raise the flop, because only the flush draw has any correct hope here, and it is very unlikely that a flush draw will not have the odds at any point in this hand.

Raise the flop!

(Unless of course, you ... nope, there really isn't anyway to get that flush draw to make a wrong play, so just hope for the best after your flop raise.)

thanks for pointing that error out.