Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Atheism and Happiness

[ QUOTE ]
The same way everyone feels happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I can't imagine someone only capable of being happy because they believe they are going to a "better place" when they die. I don't usually tend to think about it, but I know it will happen and I accept that. That being said, there is no reason that the fact that one day I will be gone should keep me from being happy on a day to day basis. That is absurd.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:38 AM

I was going to talk about all the good things that happen before death and explain why it was such a beautiful day today in every sense of the word, but David, as usual, gave a much clearer, and more concise, answer.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Atheism and Happiness..

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ??

where is the "daves's got a gr8 sense of humour??

lines???

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2004, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do atheists feel happy given their view that death is the end of their being?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow accustomed to the belief that death is nothing to us, since every good and evil lie in sensation. However, death is the dprivation of sensation. Therefore, correct understanding that death is nothing to us makes a mortal life enjoyable, not by adding an endless span of time but by taking away the longing for immortality. For there is nothing dreadful in life for man who has truly comprehended that there is nothing terrible about not living. Therefore, foolish is the man who says he fears death, not because it will cause pain when it arrives but because anticipation of it is painful. What is no trouble when it arrives is an idle worry in anticipation.

-Epicurus, Letter to Menoeceus

__________________________________________________ ______

Lucretius wrote a stunning philosophical poem (On the nature of the Universe) about the teachings of Epicurus. One of the greatest poetic works ever written. Today it is sometimes cast in prose form for easier reading, or that is the excuse anyway.

In 306 BC, Epicurus settled with his students in Athens and purchased a house with a Kitchen-garden, thus giving his movenment a name - the Garden. It admitted both men and women, slave and free. Epicurus' ethical theory, largely the avoidance of pain, was misconstrued by some and also vilified by later writers.

Thomas Jeffersion wrote a very interesting and revealing letter to Willaim Short (dated Oct 31, 1819) in which he discusses Jesus, Epictetus, and Epicurus. He makes the statment - 'I too am an Epicurian'. Attached in the letter was a 'syllabus of the doctrines of Epicurus'. The letter is worth reading for more than just its historical value.

Lathe biosas

Old 08-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Default CONTEXT OF ORIGINAL QUESTION

Having studied philosophy for my undergraduate degree, I have read some Epicurous. I must say that I have not found it to be entirely convincing.

I would probably call myself a near-atheist. "Near" because I am not 100% certain that there is no God and no life or consciousness after death. However, if I were going to place a bet, it would certainly be on the side of atheism.

Day to day, I am probably as happy as the average person. I am occupied by and enjoy being with my family, raising my baby girl, working, my hobbies, etc. I remind myself to be grateful for everything: that I am alive, human, healthy, smart, wealthy, comfortable, free, in love, loving, caring, lucky, a father. On rare occasion, however, I feel a sadness at the thought of how one day my life (most likely) must end. I do not dwell on such thoughts. They are usually triggered by something that reminds me that life is (most likely) finite. Perhaps it is someone's death that does it, or a sad movie.

In any case, for me, it is easy to be happy by focusing my attention elsewhere, on things that make me happy. I asked my original question, however, to see what kind of answers I would receive from all of you smart people (as these religion threads have reminded me how there are many very smart people here).

Thank you for your reply and reference to Epicurous. I recall another great thinker, though, as having said that he believes in God because such believe gives him life. Without God, his life is purposeless and not worth living. In other words, while God may not have literally given him life in the sense that the Bible describes, God gives him life today because by believing in God he gains a reason to live.

The counterargument would be to claim that a finite live is still worth living (even if it makes no difference to others or the rest of the universe whether such life existed or not).
Old 08-31-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: CONTEXT OF ORIGINAL QUESTION

having studied geology helps.

If you consider the age of the earth and the life expectancy of a human, lifetime is barely a twitch, so why fuss over an afterlife too? You spend too much time worrying to live for the gnats breath we have.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 08-31-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: CONTEXT OF ORIGINAL QUESTION

[ QUOTE ]
If you consider the age of the earth and the life expectancy of a human, lifetime is barely a twitch,

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Now consider the age of the universe, and then the size of it.

I'll hold back my samples of "refutations" for geology and cosmology since they'll serve no purpose but to give maybe 100 people a good laugh, and then one guy will smugly reply about how ignorant I am in the eyes of Him.

~D
Old 08-29-2004, 06:25 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
How do atheists feel happy given their view that death is the end of their being?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take each day as it comes, and live in the moment. When I die, I won't be conscious anyway, so why worry about it? Sure, I'd like to prolong my life as much as possible, but I've accepted the knowledge that one day, I won't be here, and I am at peace with that.

My concern is more for the loved ones I leave behind, and who will miss my presence, than it is for myself.

-Mike
Old 08-29-2004, 09:15 PM

Is it my imagination or is there something about religion that appeals to the self centerdness of people.

Thinking that one will exist forever in one form or another seems a bit egocentric.

Happiness, for many, is probably determined by factors other than ones post life prospects.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking that one will exist forever in one form or another seems a bit egocentric.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it's still nice work if you can get it.

-- M. Ruff