Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Showdown with the boss....(long)

Very nice read. Nice job of maintaining control in the situation. It sounds like a scene from Office Space.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the best trip report I've ever read! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Nice job keeping your composure and not decking the guy!

Good luck with your newfound freedom. Hope to see you at the Muck sometime.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:45 AM

Great story, bernie. That sounds A LOT like a place I used to work...are they in Seatac?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:27 PM

Nice! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2004, 12:53 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

They're in the kent valley off W. valley highway and 212th.

b
Old 08-24-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Slight follow up

[ QUOTE ]
Nice job keeping your composure and not decking the guy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my friends were pretty suprised when i told them i didn't even use one real vulgarity at him. I was so relaxed and enjoying watching him squirm looking for anything to say it gave me plenty of time to anticipate his next accusation.

Today i found out he ended up sleeping in his office overnight after drinking heavily. They found him in his office this morning with the lights out looking like he really tied one on the night before. They also think he got kicked out of his house or something.

We'll see what happens Wed when i pick up the 1st of my last 2 checks.

b
Old 08-24-2004, 01:00 PM

Default what if

when you go back, they offer you his job? or your old job, with a raise and an assurance that he's gone?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:10 PM

First of all congrats on your jackpot win. It's time to put this job behind you. No justification needed for quitting and in the long run there's little to be gained by confrontation when you're leaving. It sounds like you guys should have had that conversation a long time ago but I understand why not. Play solid poker and focus, seems like the games you play in are profitable in the long run.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've pondered the idea of calling OSHA on them. Just for the hell of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like this entire company is run by jerks. I bet they have OSHA and DOT violations. These scum should be gone after, of course the problem is that the workers themselves may end up losing jobs etc.

Anyway, glad you made it out of there. Hope you farewell from now on.

-Zeno
Old 08-24-2004, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like this entire company is run by jerks. I bet they have OSHA and DOT violations.

[/ QUOTE ]

They've been known to overwork their line haul (cdl) drivers then fudge the hours. They exhibit many violations in the warehouse for osha.

They get rid of their good people. For instance. There was an Admin gal in there. Worked her ass off. Awesome at what she did. She was str8 up with the drivers, not talking out of both sides of her mouth. You knew right where she was coming from. When she took over running the thing after the initial top guy, who was a piece of work, left, everything ran great. Then they hired this guy in and demoted her back down.

So shes doing all the payroll and reports. All the route billings. She knows pretty much who takes what. The receptionist under her gets lazy and fails to give her the data to process. It comes down on her. She explains she can only work with what's given her and someone else is asleep at the wheel. With all she does, she doesn't have time to do the other persons work also. They told her that was her problem. She got pissed, decided to take a walk, they fired her.

Now they have 3 people + a temp doing her job that she did herself. One of the 3 people is the receptionist who was the root cause of it. She got promoted to the vacant position.

[ QUOTE ]
of course the problem is that the workers themselves may end up losing jobs etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the high turnover rate in that business, i'd be suprised if the great majority aren't out of there within 6-9 mos. I was a rarity that i stayed as long as i did, 1 1/2 years, but there were other circumstances for that. For the client we delivered for, i was the longest guy, including the direct office people in charge of the account, to be there. So i got to see the whole turnaround/ins and outs of it.

I've relenquished my title.

b