Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 04:57 AM

Default Skill in the caribbean

How could I have been so mistaken?! You are right sir; it takes an extraordinary amount of *skill* to catch a three outer against Hoyt when all in, only to come back and win it. What was I thinking???????
Old 08-24-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Skill in the caribbean

Settle down, buddy. No need to get sarcastic just because someone disagrees with you.

The fact is that Gus Hansen is a world class player. There are times when he appears to play like a maniac fish, but you need to realize that we probably get to see almost every hand where that happens. Almost every time somebody snaps off one his his bluffs or he sucks out on someone, the TV producers will deem it worthy of making the final cut. It's good television (or so they think), so those are the hands we see. We don't see him picking up hundreds and hundreds of small pots where his opponents are too conservative/tight/afraid to invest a large percentage of their chips. We don't see the hundreds of times he folds garbage hands preflop. We don't see all of the hands where he milks his opponents, who are over-playing their hands against a monster of his own.

As an example to support your premise (that GH is just lucky), you say that he once sucked out on Hoyt Corkins on TV - caught a 3-outer. Dude, that is one hand. One. If Gus is so damn lucky, how the hell does he make the final table 3 or 4 times a year in the WPT?

And as for the hand that you cite as proof of his luckiness, it wasn't even that lucky. These kinds of suckouts happen all the time. Did you know that a pre-flop 3-outer will hit almost 29% of the time? If you take into account that his opponent will also hit his kicker some of the time, that means almost one of every four times that hand occurs, Gus will end up winning it.

No doubt, Gus was in a bad spot there, and it was his loose aggressive style/image that got him there. But it's not like he was drawing dead when the money went in. He made a play and got caught. He also ended up winning the hand, which is not as rare of an occurrence as you make it out to be.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: PokerStars Invitational: who couldn\'t see a sucker?

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Ferguson said "You show me the player that everyone thinks is the luckiest poker player and i will show you the best poker player." I think Gus is going to show everyone that he is not just lucky and win the PokerStars Invitational.

[/ QUOTE ]

RPatterson, is that you?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: PokerStars Invitational: who couldn\'t see a sucker?

no

Erostratus is the former rpatterson