Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: is it ever correct to fold low pocket pairs?

Definite folding situation, even w/o a raise.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FOLD FOLD FOLD I wouldnt even play this hand UTG+1 if UTG folded or called, the fact that he raised makes it even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you play crazy low limit games, you give up a ton of money not calling in any position with a pp if it hasn't been raised.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 PM

I think with pocket pairs-low ones-you want to be in the pot for one bet with 5 or 6 callers. They also play okay heads up, but it isnt worth it to call from early position. If you dont flop a set it is usually a check fold situation.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FOLD FOLD FOLD I wouldnt even play this hand UTG+1 if UTG folded or called, the fact that he raised makes it even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you play crazy low limit games, you give up a ton of money not calling in any position with a pp if it hasn't been raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

The low limit games I play in are nowhere near the type of game I'd have to be playing in to call from any position with any pocket pair, and I'm yet to see one that is. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen one.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: could you guys provide some guidelines?

FOLD those pocket dueces against that raise! You are a large underdog against ANY other pocket pair and you are only a coin flip against virtually any other hand. Do you really want to cold call a raise in this situation?

General guidelines for a normal micro-limit table is to play AA-77 from early position and fold anything smaller. Raise and re-raise AA-JJ in most situations.

From middle position you can safely play any pocket pair so long as there is no raise in front of you. If there is a raise in front then I just play AA-TT.

A person raising is basically telling you they have a solid hand. You don't want to be calling a solid hand with a drawing hand. Unless you know that the raiser is raising all the time with crap hands and limping with strong hands, just fold it and wait for the next hand. The next hand will be along soon enough.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The low limit games I play in are nowhere near the type of game I'd have to be playing in to call from any position with any pocket pair, and I'm yet to see one that is. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen one.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, you're missing some good games. If you like low limit try party poker up to limits say, 5-10.
I don't believe you've never played in a game that loose. To make the play profitable all you need is 3-4 callers to get your implied odds. If you've never played in a game where 30-40% of the players see the flop then...ouch.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:42 AM

At least according to Ed Miller, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth, you should have at least 6-8 callers in a typical small stakes hand to make calling with pocket pairs smaller than 77 correct from early position.

I'm not saying you are not correct, but... just giving a different viewpoint for the benefit of the original poster.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At least according to Ed Miller, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth, you should have at least 6-8 callers in a typical small stakes hand to make calling with pocket pairs smaller than 77 correct from early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anybody confirm this? Am I the only one who has managed to make a huge profit with small pairs in EP? I doubt it. I remember D.S. saying there are lots of games in which folding any pp in ep would be a disaster.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:06 AM

Not 6-8 callers, per say, 6-8 to the flop. Since most SB's will be pretty loose, you probably only need 3 limpers behind you for the particular hand to fit the loose games description in SSH. You'll have 6 to the flop.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:20 AM

taboo?