Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 05:00 PM

Default A Fox pas?

Glad you agree that Fox News is trashy. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Seriously, I have made this point about debating before, to MMMMMM, but MMMMMM would not get it. When you support a certain position, it is usually preferable to offer substantiation coming from a source that opposes your position!

In other words, if you support Kerry and want to justify something about him, you might want to prefer Fox over other news sites -- because Fox is anti-Kerry! (It works, of course, the other way for Bush supporters.)

And that is all there is to it.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: A Fox pas?

Yes Cyrus but if you are just providing an article that QUOTES someone, then any major news outlet ought to do--unless you think they actually make up quotes and further think they think they won't get called on it. You were picking bones with me over source about an article that focused on quoting Hastert but you had no reason whatsoever to suppose that they were MAKING UP quotes by Hastert. And of course those quotes turned out to be confirmed by another source and by your beloved Post as well.

And that is all there is to it.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Doesn\'t make sense.

[ QUOTE ]
A. Kerry fought in Vietnam which is a hell of a lot more than you can say for Bush and millions of other Americans his age at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's amazing to me that we have a war that was based on a flawed notion (the domino theory), a war where the U.S. used carpet bombing to bomb innocent civilians, a war where agent Orange was used that caused cancer in it's own soldiers, a war that had no effective strategy to actually win it, a war where draftees were employed and it is duely noted that poorer citizens didn't have deferments available, a war where napalm was routinely used, a war where we had Mai Lai and a war where the U.S. government continuously lied to it's citizens about and people today say that those who had problems with that war were somehow not honorable or shirked their duty. I have already conceded that Bush actions where probably based on self interest more than moral objections to such a war. But please, people that had real problems with that war should not be disparaged IMO. Honestly I can say quite a lot about people who had problems with that war.

[ QUOTE ]
Medals or no medals, all soldiers risk their lives to fight for the 'interests' of the country, if he didn't actually deserve them, fine, just dont let that take away from the acknowledgment he does deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I maintain that the situation in 1966 when Kerry joined was much different than 1968 and I'd bet that Kerry in 1968 would have had many problems serving and participating in that war given the situation at the time. And that's NOT A KNOCK Kerry. I think people forget what those times were like or didn't live through them.

[ QUOTE ]
B. Fighting in a war, while very valliant and brave and patriotic, in my mind does has very little to do with ones ability to actually be president and run the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it doesn't have much to do with being president but that's what Kerry is selling.

[ QUOTE ]
I've always felt that more empahsis should be given to the issues, and I hate how every election both sides engage in this character bashing which just avoids the issue of who is going to make better decisions for our country. I'm not saying character is unimportant, but more that I just hate how sensationalism in the media in essence chooses our priorities for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it to.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:26 PM

Default WOW!

Have you gotten a lot smarter recently? I have to agree with everything in your post. 1968-1969 Those were some strange times.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:29 PM

Default The Wind Cries Mary

...You still don't get it.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: The Wind Cries Mary

I get it, Cyrus. I get the point that a contrary-minded source is best used to bolster one's own points.

What YOU apparently don't get, or think is unimportant, is that you had no real basis for scoffing at that report of Hastert's quotes; that there was absolutely no reason to doubt that Hastert had said those things.

Just wondering, do you ever admit you were wrong or out of line?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Washington Post Story - Records Counter a Critic of Kerry

[ QUOTE ]
In a telephone interview Tuesday evening after he attended a Swift Boat Veterans strategy session in an Arlington hotel, Thurlow said he lost his Bronze Star citation more than 20 years ago. He said he was unwilling to authorize release of his military records because he feared attempts by the Kerry campaign to discredit him and other anti-Kerry veterans.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read the whole article and this seems the most ridiculous thing in it. He was worried about releasing the records because he thought the Kerry campaign would discredit him??? It seems to me he was worried because he knew what the report said, and that was the opposite of what he has been saying.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:47 PM

Yes. Like I said in my "Doesn't make sense" post, he did have a citation with the medal. Want to wager that it contains the words "under enemy fire" in it? Amazing how far these people will let blind hatred take them, isn't it?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Like I said in my "Doesn't make sense" post, he did have a citation with the medal. Want to wager that it contains the words "under enemy fire" in it? Amazing how far these people will let blind hatred take them, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This shows how little non-war-era layman understand about medals, citations and other military protocol .

Jimbo

My New Sig Line: i<font color="red">F</font> yo<font color="red">U</font> <font color="red">C</font>ee <font color="red">K</font>erry run (and vote) the other way!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Thunderbirds Are -- no wait a minute

"This shows how little non-war-era layman [sic] understand about medals, citations and other military protocol."

Tell me, is there a chance that Thurlow will return his Bronze Star ? I mean, he got it through the same documentation that he now, in his GOP-infested rage, denounces as false! Either both he and Kerry deserve 'em or neither of 'em deserve 'em.

I don't put it past Thurlow pulling a Samson, considering his frame of mind...

"My New Sig Line: iF yoU Cee Kerry run (and vote) the other way!"

Me too, I'm glad you live in Tulsa. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]