Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Negreanu

[ QUOTE ]
Who really cares about the main event anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

ummmmm....nearly every card player out there. Are you trying to say that he just played poorly because he didn't care??
Old 08-19-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Negreanu - Could you risk the Championship for 4-1 odds?

Here was my plan going in and I mentioned it to one top level pro "he said there really is little difference the way you approach a big field compared to a little field", I don't agree. But he likely isn't all wrong either.

Here is a hand I encountered, I had Jd8d on the big blind to a 3 bet very early. I call and the flop comes 7h 8h 10, I bet 3/4 of the pot which was about 350(guessing truthfully) and got 2 callers. Next card brings a 9c, here is where I played it differently than many did. I bet 3/4 of the pot again. Many players were overbetting the pots because of the calling stations in an attempt to muscle them out. I wasn't necessarily concerned with the right or wrong price at this point. I just didn't want to be overcommitted to players that were more than likely to draw to whatever they were drawing no matter how much I bet.

River brought a K of diamonds. Second guy to bet makes a pot sized bet. I folded. Wounded but not desperate. Wasn't happy about the hand at the time but against the same field under the same conditions, I would play it the same way. That pot brought me below 8,000. I got to 5,000 at one point but I ended the day with 42,000. You can't win if you aren't in and many top players got frustrated and let the bad players dictate the action too much.

In alot of ways it was the easiest tournament I have ever encountered, live, but in their were many mine fields that were tough to avoid.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am now convinced that Phil Helmuth folding his top pocket pair when he thought the raiser had a lower pair was incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is beyond question.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:22 PM

No I'm saying that the Main Event this year had 2600 people in it and even the best pros in the world would have trouble winning it. If I were Daniel I wouldn't feel bad about the main event, because he won the AAPA, which he felt was more important.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who really cares about the main event anyways, Dan showed his poker prowess by winning the best all around award. Yes he didn't play well in the main event but he still made money this year at the WSOP AND his is #1 player of the year on cardplayer list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone cares about the main event.

What you said is like saying, "Tiger Woods is #1 in the world and has already won the Tostitos Open and Weedeater Invitational this year, so who cares if he tanks it in the US Open."

-- Homer
Old 08-19-2004, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob has just taken the chip lead (and has almost 40%), and then tangles with Johny Chan on two hands and is out. The second hand he had (I think) a pair and a flush draw, made a bet and called all-in on Chan's raise while knowing he had to make that flush or trip-up to win. Well, that was crappy odds to risk your tournament on, but he figured if he folds he just has 15% of the chips, and if he spikes, then he has 80% and the odds were just about right to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have a pair plus a flush draw on the flop, I'm going all-in if I must. I'll try to be the aggressor so I can get some folding equity, but I'm figuring I'm ahead, albeit marginally so. If he put Chan on top pair (do you recall what Chan actually had?) then he is a favorite to win the hand unless Chan's kicker was the same as his.

No way I'm letting this go getting even as good as 1.5:1 odds, let alone what Ciaffone was getting.

Just throwing that in...
Old 08-19-2004, 09:05 PM

Daniel is my new favorite poker player. People want to watch him, and that is what the game still needs, figures who people enjoy watching.

GO NEGREANU
Old 08-19-2004, 10:42 PM

Good or bad, I respect him a lot for blaming himself for not adjusting to the "unbluffable amateurs" instead of blaming the amateurs for playing poorly. Every time I see a pro whining about bad players I want to slap them around.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:53 PM

People like Negreanu (or at least I do) because he seems to have more _fun_ playing poker than anyone else. All the other pros always look vaugely unhappy.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:59 PM

I enjoy watching Dan N. play every time I see him on TV. The way he played in the main event wasn't great, but you can't blame him for playing bad once with the way he performs the rest of the time. His Card Player articles are great to read too.