Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: 400$ what should i be playing?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Update

After playing the whole of the day in 25NL and 2/4 limit my bankroll is now at 568$. Thats +168$ on the day.

Should i stick to what i am playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

buy 'gambling theory and other topics'

[/ QUOTE ]

Or he can post here to try and get an answer. That's what this board is for, to learn and get better. No reason to make him go buy a book when he can find his answers here.

Justin A
Old 08-17-2004, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Update

After playing the whole of the day in 25NL and 2/4 limit my bankroll is now at 568$. Thats +168$ on the day.

Should i stick to what i am playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too familiar with bankrolls for limit games, but as far as the Party 25 goes, I think you should stick with that. Keeping at least fifteen buy-ins is a good idea, as it leaves very little room for going broke. If you're trying to build your bankroll without a lot of risk, it's best to be patient. Wait until you get to $750 or $1k before moving up to the NL 50 games.

It's important to keep a lot of buy-ins because you cannot let losing your stack affect your play. If you have twenty buy-ins and you lose one of them, it won't be too big of a deal and you can just focus on playing good poker.

FWIW, learning money management has been the best single thing to happen to my poker game since I learned that a flush beats a straight. Have patience, you have plenty of time to build your bankroll.

Justin A
Old 08-17-2004, 05:19 PM

Play the 25$ buy-in games until you double your stake, then move to the 50s. Build patiently and you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 PM

Update 17th August

BAnkroll = 623$

The PL 25 games on empire and party are proving very easy to beat. I have also started playing 10/1 sng`s. They too are proving easy games.

Any thoughts on the progression i am making?

Over the past 10 days i have turned my initial 50$ into 623$. I have played very tight and am now looking at a massive % increase in my bankroll. Can anyone recommend any other easy games. Should i expand to 7 card stud or maybe draw?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:27 AM

I'll offer a somewhat contrary opinion, starting with the central premise that a small bankroll does not need protecting. You have seen how easy it is to go from 50-->600. It won't always be that easy, but if you are a competent player it won't be that hard.

If you have aspirations to build a large bankroll or play higher limits then go ahead and take a stab now. Even if you lose, the experience will be invaluable.

(note: I am assuming you can fairly easily come up with another $50 if necessary.)

Paul
Old 08-18-2004, 09:33 AM

I agree. just set aside some money to take a stab at some higher games. if you lose that money, go back to the lower games and make it back. rinse and repeat. no reason not to take shots at the $50 and $100 NL tables.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-18-2004, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Update 17th August

BAnkroll = 623$

The PL 25 games on empire and party are proving very easy to beat. I have also started playing 10/1 sng`s. They too are proving easy games.

Any thoughts on the progression i am making?

Over the past 10 days i have turned my initial 50$ into 623$. I have played very tight and am now looking at a massive % increase in my bankroll. Can anyone recommend any other easy games. Should i expand to 7 card stud or maybe draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your best bet is just to keep moving up the limits in the game you know; hold'em offers huge numbers of tables at various limits, with a constant stream of uneducated players appearing to give you their money, while draw and stud do not. You have settled on a game with a huge edge for tight, aggressive, skilled players (NL hold'em); no need to look elsewhere.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. just set aside some money to take a stab at some higher games. if you lose that money, go back to the lower games and make it back. rinse and repeat. no reason not to take shots at the $50 and $100 NL tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

For once I don't totally agree with you Turnip, but for different reasons than you state. In my experience, I've found that having a sufficient bankroll has actually allowed me to play better, because I'm never worried about going broke. That might be specific to me though, so if you think you can still play your best in a higher game, then go for it. I just know I can't.

Justin A
Old 08-19-2004, 09:46 AM

I don't know about you but I have more than once turned 50 dollars into over a thosand, losing it all first time, and then buy in again and turning it to almost 2 grand. But unlike other players I don't necessarily agree that you must have a huge buy in protection in order to play your game. Since your investment is so small to begin with you don't need any hedging. Start playing 50-200nl buy in whichever you're comfortable. I play tight, aggressive game, and it suits me fine. I regularly sit down with 40 at 200nl, and turn it into 200 or more. Just pick right tables. Just pick tables with lots of loose/passive action and you'll do very well. With small stack, you want to see as many flops of BB as possible, so if you get raised almost every hand then perhaps the table is too aggressive for you with a small stack. Also I noticed that at lower tables you're down to a 'a pickaxe and a shovel' as most pros call it. You must show best hand every time. You can't push people at all, because you get called by people without a hand or ace high. You'll hear 'i thought u were bluffing' more than anywhere else. Nevermind that they didn't have any kind of a hand. That's why I like playing at 50-200nl. Especially at 200nl, I often will go all in for 40-50 with 2-3 limpers and maybe a small raise, and get everyone to fold big portion of the time with a drawing hand or perhaps mediocre hand in late position to mix up my play. Not going to happen at under 50nl tables. Point is you need to know how to play at different limits. I switch up play quite a bit if I am playing 1/2 or 2/4 NL or if I play 50nl. So play at higher buy ins if you are skilled enough and even if you lose it all you will gain invaluable information/playing experience and you can always build yourself up to more.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:51 AM

Hey Justin, how did you learn money-/bankroll management? Is it through experience or is there some other source of information available?

My biggest problem sofar is that i have been withdrawing too much money out of my bankroll (which in other ways has been great).
This has forced me to grinding it out in the lower limits instead of moving up...