Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Misery with Pocket Aces

[ QUOTE ]
Never play aces with less than a 6x bb raise except ...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are varying your raises based on your hand value, then you are probably making a big mistake. At these levels, it won't hurt you much, but as you move up, it will kill you.

You should vary your raises based on number of limpers / posters / other money already in the pot, your position, your table image, etc. But, if you decide to raise, do NOT make the amount of the raise at all dependent on the hand itself, or you are giving away too much information.

BTW, to the original question, KK is by far my biggest money loser. I have been all in with it 9 times of the last 13 times that I held it, and I found that I was up against AA 5 of the 9 times. (I didn't suck out on a single one.) At one point recently, it was 5 of 8 out of only 10 times holding it, but I have actually won my last three times holding KK, one of which I was all in against QQ.

The point is that there is still a serious amount of luck, when you are looking at a single hand, unless your database has literally hundreds of thousands of hands in it. You sample size (when you held AA) is probably fewer than 20 hands, so it is still not statistically significant. Note that you are 11-to-1 over AJ! For losing two of these to be accurate, statistically, you would need to have seen that matchup 22 times. Therefore, you would not expect a single matchup to start to be statistically significant until you have seen it at least a couple of hundred times.

Keep getting all in with your AA preflop, if you can. You'll take some beats, but it won't go on forever. It is a huge edge and eventually results will drift towards the odds.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:32 PM

I would have been pissed about this one if it wasn't so damm funny. Last night Party NL50 6 max. I get all in 3 way PF with AA. Flop comes down QJT diamonds, turn off suit K, river blank, and pot gets pushed to player holding AK Diamonds for the FLOPPED ROYAL FLUSH! I play gooooot...
Old 08-12-2004, 03:40 PM

AA is a difficult hand to play in NL for me too. But it's very very easy to get out of the losing zone: You just have to go all-in everytime preflop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2004, 04:59 PM

my biggest winner is QQ, followed by AA, you just have to be able to fold AA to a big bet on a bad board.

rj
Old 08-12-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Try this line:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed)

UTG ($19.70)
MP ($29.35)
Button ($83.95)
Hero ($28.60)
BB ($30.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I raise to $3 after everyone limps, I get 3 (!) callers. Pot ~$14.50

Flop: ($0) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

I go all in UTG for $24, get one caller

all-In.BB folds, UTG folds, MP folds.

Turn: ($0) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: ($0) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: Big, like $64

Villan who calls me holds QTo and MHIG.