Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: The juicy online games of today: Taking it too far?

If there are two others aside yourself in the pot I would probably check/call the river, you aren't making anyone with a J or 8 fold in a five handed game, and you ARE risking the chance of being raised by a J.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:28 PM

Hi Ike,

Here's my take on the hand, and the involvement of the other players. They are most likely chasing flush and/or straight draws. If the game is loose enough they will chase down their 2nd pairs and draw for two pairs and trips.

Check raising the turn is not such a bad move as it gives off the impression that you clearly have a big hand making the over card draws seriously pay. As well, pocket 7's may be the best hand here so a check-raise is for good value.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 05:10 PM

What Jack would you put my remaining opponents on? Even if someone accendently bumped into a jack on the river, do you really think they would raise it?

lars
Old 08-09-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Results

BB folded and UTG called my river bet. My hand was good.

lars
Old 08-09-2004, 06:49 PM

If there is a raise and 2 callers and you have 77 on the button, you usually call right? So here we are getting almost the same odds minus a small blind and we are out of position. I don't mind the raise here. I don't do it much, but I occasionally do. The thing is, you don't have to bet the flop. If you miss or the flop is ugly just give up. Also, I notice that when I make this raise and the flop is K and I check, surprisingly people are scared to bet, because they put you on AK or top set, and if they can't beat that they don't bet because you are SUPPOSED TO BET and you didn't. If someone bets, you can fold, but it is an interesting way to get a freebie that often works. And if you flop a set, well then, you will make a lot of money. . . .
Old 08-09-2004, 07:56 PM

Well, you certainly made a couple of marginal plays. Not bad plays mind you, just marginal. Depending on various details, it's close between calling and raising preflop, the same with the checking or betting the river.

On the river it really depends on what kind of opponents you are against. If they will pay you off with any pair, or are generally agro, then betting is fine. But if they are passive calling stations, it's hard to see value betting the river at that point.

More details might be nice.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com
Old 08-09-2004, 08:58 PM

I agree. Raising here has a lot of interesting advantages, I think.

To start with, on this excact flop, how would play post-flop, if I had "uncommited" myself by just calling preflop?

By contrast, I think this hand pretty much played itself once I had raised preflop. I even think the river bet is pretty much a no-brainer the way the action has gone.

lars
Old 08-09-2004, 10:04 PM

Going for a turn checkraise here would be a really big mistake.