Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: My overpair is checkraised. What now?

He probably doesn't have AA since no reraise preflop. probably has over pairs but under cowboys. thinks you might have AK or overs and doesn't want you to catch your card. Your in the hand no matter what, don't see you folding. Could call and induce an all-in bet on the turn from him or you move all-in on the turn. i think if you reraise him on the flop after he reraised you, he may think that you have pockets as well and would beat his PPs so he'd fold. if you call he may think you got overs and are hoping for them to show up and if another rag comes he may bet the pot again and then you got all his stack.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:01 PM

My read is an over pair, but not bullets. I push and hope for a call with his 1010 or JJ. The only other possibility I see is him bluffing very hard with a flush draw with big spades, hoping to push you out and take a decent pot in the process. Either way, i'm either calling here or most likely reraising.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:34 PM

Limp call UTG from decent player should be pocket pair 22-77, suited connectors, or AT-A2x, maybe AA trapping. I’d think a flush draw or something like 98s, A6s, 87s, 65s (which you’re slightly behind to) would push in to try to get you out. While 76s, 77, 66, 22 where you are way behind to would be more likely to make the pot bet to keep you. It’s possible he puts you on AK if you’ve been frisky and is bluffing you, but that’s unlikely.

I’d say you are not a favorite most of the time, but are getting reasonable odds. So it depends on how often he’s on the flushdraw vs. set vs. being a terrible player. With a read of 1) a good player 2) likely to play a flushdraw harder, likely it’s a somewhat close decision but I’d probably fold (but maybe call w Kspades). This might be weak tho.

--Greg

Note; He likely checked “bet pot” since his raise to $30 was the size of the pot after you’d put money in.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:56 AM

Default Results and question about timing tells.

I pushed and villain folded. In retrospect, I like the advice of bsiu5 and wayfare. That is, just calling and inducing a push by a lower pp on the turn rather than letting him get away from it.

I'm not one to put a tremendous amount of stock in how people "time" their bets (insta-bet vs. going into the tank first) but the quickness of the bet suggested to me that he wanted to look very strong, to me an indication that he was on a bluff. If I'm not mistaken, after you've acted in Party I don't think you can hit the "bet pot button". Personally, when I hit the "bet pot" button it's usually when I have something like top pair, mediocre kicker and want everyone to fold. Do other people see the "bet pot" button on party as an indication of the absense of a monster? Any other reliable timing tells in NL play? (I'm sure this has been discussed before so if anyone has any links to previous threads that would be great too.)