Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Re: HPFAP loose game [bad] advice

The advice they give would make more sense against opponents who play loose preflop, but play decently postflop (fairly common at higher limits). That type of player might actually pay attention to pot odds and keeping the pot small might actually win a pot you would lose if you raised preflop.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The advice they give would make more sense against opponents who play loose preflop, but play decently postflop (fairly common at higher limits). That type of player might actually pay attention to pot odds and keeping the pot small might actually win a pot you would lose if you raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is exactly the type of opponents it was designed for, and has been stated on here numerous times (including very recently by NPA Ed Miller)
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 PM

I'm sure I don't have it totally correct, and I don't have the book in front of me, but although your hand may be dominating the average "bad" player's holding, the fact that you'll have 4 or more players coming in will make your play much more difficult. In these type of games, your raise preflop may not even knock out the blinds. Make them suited and you have a slight higher edge with them and the raise may be correct. I used to not agree with that and would be a raising maniac, but in specifically loosy-goosy games, I am now a believer of just limping in behind those limpys with AQo.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:56 PM

AK everybody is paying to see the flop in my book, except sb and bb depending on the number of limpers. I don't care for raising the multi pot and being first to act on the flop in MICROS. Id rather save a bet and react to the flop. raggy flop and I havent given myself odds to chase that gutshot bicycle straight and save bets. Anywhere else and Im raising for value and to push people out. You can push some out and the players you push out are the ones that you dont want seeing the flop anyways ( the ones that have a clue ) So UTG and to middle I raise to push, and middle late raise the limpers and push the decent players out. Also I find that when you limp in from the blinds and your A or K hits, you will get action because youre in the blinds and nobody raised preflop. You do have to deal with not having the raiser respect, but you can check raise and gain some control after the flop. AQo I only raise if I have been going through a cold card spell, and usually middle to late position, but these all depend on the table conditions. Thats how I play them on loose tables and it has been a good strategy. You will have variance no matter how you play on these tables. The key I feel is to stay alert and don't allow emotions to effect youre actions.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:25 PM

Does it state this fact in the book itself?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is exactly the type of opponents it was designed for, and has been stated on here numerous times (including very recently by NPA Ed Miller)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2004, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's been explained on here numerous times.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's been explained on here numerous times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this fact important enough to be included in the actual book? Or did this fact only become a fact when the text came under scrutiny?