Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1\" Digital LCD $749 at Dell Business

Hm, not sure how clueles with computers you are, but some people are just really that dumb with computers. Just in case you are that computer illiterate, gabyyy is kidding. Don't plug it into your ass. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

- Tony

P.S. Reminds me of the support call to Dell, "my cupholder in my new computer broke". Turns out the cupholder was the CDROM drive!
Old 07-22-2004, 01:00 AM

yeah. there should be some sort of way to plug the monitor into the computer's USB port though.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:11 AM

The only problem with this LCD is the screendoor effect. Also has no true black and no 32-bit color if you are going to do any heavy graphics design / photoshop work. The lack of true black you can see on certain games too.

For just poker it's probably best value if you don't use it for other things.

But the screendoor effect drives me nuts:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/image/10961/
Old 07-22-2004, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem with this LCD is the screendoor effect. Also has no true black and no 32-bit color if you are going to do any heavy graphics design / photoshop work. The lack of true black you can see on certain games too.

[/ QUOTE ]

that must be on cheaper LCDs because there is none of that on this monitor
Old 07-22-2004, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are rediculous. Do you know anything about hardware? Clearly you have not seen this monitor in person, or you would not be spewing such crap. The screen door effect occurs with a high dot pitch, which this monitor does not have. In fact, it has a lower pitch than most CRTs. The screen door effect is not unique to LCDs, as you make it sound, but is in fact applicable to all crappy monitors. True black? I really doubt you will notice the difference, especially if you have your brightness turned up past 0 on your current monitor (99.9% or people) because you already are giving up absolute black. FYI, you do get true black on a LCD like this one, because the pixels are actually OFF. Comprende? Its not a projected black. In summary, you are a pessimistic n00b who has no first hand experience with this monitor. I work at a computer retailer and it is my job to know the ins and outs of these kinds of things. I suggest you learn a few things too if you want to continue voicing your opinion on hardware. This monitor is teh NUTS for poker, and will excel in gaming provided you play your game in its native resolution, 1600x1200, which for new games is going to be virtually impossible.

Edited to say you can still get one for 800$ here.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:51 AM

Umm... why all the attitude? SHEESH!

Do your homework first. There are dozens of posts at various review sites about this specific LCD monitor that specifically addresses the screendoor effect. Similar to my review, they give it an overall great rating with those caveats.

And if you do any photo work at all, the lack of true black is VERY obvious. Maybe you should learn what true black is before YOU spew your crap? I didn't give any attitude in my first reply, no reason for you to get all belligerant. Your applogy is accepted.

And yes, I know my LCD's. I own 5 Samsungs and 2 2001FP's. Just speaking from experience. I play a lot of online gaming as well as pokering and my wife is a professional photographer who uses 100% digital post-processing.

I did not say screendoor effect occurs only on this LCD but it does. You may not see it from the naked eye but you have to set the proper contrast to see it, and also zoom in. For most it doesn't matter. For those with a very particular eye it does.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:53 AM

> you do get true black on a LCD like this one, because the pixels are actually OFF.

Oh, FYI, having pixels "turned off" on an LCD does not... absolute *does not* mean it shows "true black". You do not understand the term "true black".

Ask any graphics designer or professional digital photographer who does their own post processing.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm... why all the attitude? SHEESH!

Do your homework first. There are dozens of posts at various review sites about this specific LCD monitor that specifically addresses the screendoor effect. Similar to my review, they give it an overall great rating with those caveats.

And if you do any photo work at all, the lack of true black is VERY obvious. Maybe you should learn what true black is before YOU spew your crap? I didn't give any attitude in my first reply, no reason for you to get all belligerant. Your applogy is accepted.

And yes, I know my LCD's. I own 5 Samsungs and 2 2001FP's. Just speaking from experience. I play a lot of online gaming as well as pokering and my wife is a professional photographer who uses 100% digital post-processing.

I did not say screendoor effect occurs only on this LCD but it does. You may not see it from the naked eye but you have to set the proper contrast to see it, and also zoom in. For most it doesn't matter. For those with a very particular eye it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not making any sense. You say it got a great rating on screendoor effect, yet that was your main complaint? What? Its dot pitch is comparable to a CRT, negating that entire argument. Furthermore, this is a poker site, not a pro photo site. If you are using an LCD for pro photography, you are an amature. You would have WAY bigger problems with regular color correction than true black. I am going to call BS if you say you own this monitor in person and can notice any dot pitch from a regular distance.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It also a USB hub btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty clueless about hardware, so forgive me if this is a dumb question: does this mean that if I plug something into one of the USB sockets on the monitor, it will work the same as if I'd plugged it into a USB socket on my computer box (assuming the monitor is connected to the computer, obviously)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:40 AM

People talk about getting 2 monitors going at once...how do you do that? I would assume you need to CPU processors, no? Or is it possible to have 2 monitors playing different poker games from a single processor?