Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Where to practice for free

[ QUOTE ]

If it's free, it's not poker.

That would be like asking if you can play baseball without a ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible analogy( i suspect u know this however), poker without cards would be correct but here we are talking about free poker
To the OP...play the next best thing, freerolls.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lost about a grand on the low level money tables in two weeks

[/ QUOTE ]

move to the 20's and join my table
Old 10-26-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible analogy( i suspect u know this however), poker without cards would be correct but here we are talking about free poker

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the cards in poker are like the bases, lines, and fences in baseball. But the actual game of baseball requires a ball, and the actual game of poker requires stakes. You could still play a form of baseball with nothing but a bat and ball (over the line).

You can play poker without cards (liar's poker).

But you can't play poker for free. There is no such thing as free poker. Just like playing baseball without a ball, playing poker without money is just pretending.

Irieguy
Old 10-26-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like playing baseball without a ball, playing poker without money is just pretending.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:59 PM

... and, just like baseball without a ball, a total waste of time.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:18 PM

have you played freerolls?? that is poker actually, its FREE POKER but with money prizes.
Maybe this is the typcial discussion where the parts are discussing a diferent subject, I think I can prove you wrong on the money=ball analogy with dictionary definitions but I cant be bothered.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the cards in poker are like the bases, lines, and fences in baseball. But the actual game of baseball requires a ball, and the actual game of poker requires stakes. You could still play a form of baseball with nothing but a bat and ball (over the line).

You can play poker without cards (liar's poker).

But you can't play poker for free. There is no such thing as free poker. Just like playing baseball without a ball, playing poker without money is just pretending.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree 100%.

At the time I got into poker before law school, I was working at a pool hall part time just for free table time. I spent my days and nights gambling and at night there would be a card game once in awhile. (this was my intro to HE and Omaha, never heard of them before '98).

Anyway, one of the best all around pool players I ever met was the owner's son who I went to HS with. He had played for big money throughout his life and played in large field open tournaments.

When he played guys in the room, he never cared about the stakes...he'd play for 1000 for a set or for a coke. He played for his pride...we often played for a dollar a game or nothing and he ALWAYS gave me his best game. Sometimes it was actually frustrating because he would take so long to shoot and I would think, "God, its not like there is anything on the line". But there was.

I often play cards with my GF and family for no stakes and my drive to win is enough to make me play well.

The key for OP is twofold...whether he can find a game where other players feel strongly about winning for its own sake, and two, whether OP wants to win/play well for its own sake.

You might call the thrill of winning, "competitive spirit" the "stakes", but I don't think that't what you meant.

Just playing devil's advocate...in practice I happen to agree a bit with what you're saying to a degree...but to say that poker w/o money is not poker is wrong.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:44 PM

I started at Ultimate Bet playing play chips. Once you get up to 1000-2000 blinds off the 1000 chips they give u to start the play is almost like .01-.02 cents real money. This probably sounds like a dumb idea to most people but I get a lot of satisfaction out of the fact that the only money Ive ever taken out of my bank account to play poker is 2 deposits of 35 and 25. I lost the first 35 playing .01-.02 and I'm a winning player at the 11s now even under the rigiorous sample sizes expected around here. PM me if you want and Ill transfer you a million play chips on UB.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:56 PM

I disagree...high level poker can be played without money. IRC poker used to be played at a pretty high level...at least as high as 22s and 33s. You just need to find the right situation although maybe that is not possible anymore with real cash games available online.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have you played freerolls?? that is poker actually, its FREE POKER but with money prizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're completely missing the point.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I can prove you wrong on the money=ball analogy with dictionary definitions but I cant be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you the guy that created a bunch of fake accounts to swing the vote in an OOT poll? You can't be bothered to do something?