Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Quitting Poker (LONG)

Good thinking, enjoy your senior year!

If you want to impress anybody with your degree, go to Cal Poly. Chico is, and always be, considered a huge party school.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 PM

I started playing when I was a senior in high school on partypoker. I have to say that I am surprised that you are quitting. I didn't find it a problem to balance poker and a social life, much like many kids in high school have part time jobs. In addition, I was able to use the money I made to basically do whatever I wanted. Personally, I can see myself being a lifetime poker player. Poker will allow me to take a low paying job such as a teacher while making most of my income from poker. As for your grades, I highly doubt that a college will not accept you based on your senior grades, especially your second semester senior grades. My opinion is that you should prioritize. My priorities are something like this, 1) friends 2) poker 3) school 4) family 5) girls.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:12 PM

I dont agree with the ranking, but I alright have a job.

God 1st! Then after that

1) CPA Exam
2) Poker
3) School
4) Girls if i didnt date bitches it would be higher

SFWUSC
Old 02-03-2005, 11:24 PM

Not to knock you or anything Awesemo, but I just don't see how a highschool student can play at a high enough level to make it worthwhile to play poker, while still keeping a healthy balance of school and a socail life. And by making it worthwhile I mean you must be pulling in a minumum of 25k a year atleast for me. That level is probably considerably less to most teenagers but that is because I live pretty comfortably as does my parents. Although I am confident I could pull in those numbers I just would rather focus on other activities right now. I don't know the level that you play at but you have to put in a decent amount of time and really have to dedicate yourself to the game to do this when you have other things like school involved. It is simply a rough life for a teenager to live when he has to go through the phsycological problems that poker creates such as massive downswings. How many teenagers do you think can really drop 2k in one night and still feel good about themselves in the morning? Not to many that I know of. I know I struggled through my downswings.

Just from you ranking Poker above family and even girls when you are a highschool student shows to most people that you don't have a healthy balance of poker in your life.

Also colleges can reject you just from one D in your required classes even after you have been accepted.

Awesemo I am curious as to what stakes you play at and how old you are now?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also colleges can reject you just from one D in your required classes even after you have been accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can technically drop you for any reduction in GPA... that being said I got into Poly, SCU, & UCLA with my wonderful 3.0 (weighted, no less) GPA and getting a D first semester english, D second semester sociology. Then again, my SAT score was around 1500 and I credit that as the single reason I got into those schools. College admissions are a joke.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to knock you or anything Awesemo, but I just don't see how a highschool student can play at a high enough level to make it worthwhile to play poker, while still keeping a healthy balance of school and a socail life. And by making it worthwhile I mean you must be pulling in a minumum of 25k a year atleast for me. That level is probably considerably less to most teenagers but that is because I live pretty comfortably as does my parents. Although I am confident I could pull in those numbers I just would rather focus on other activities right now. I don't know the level that you play at but you have to put in a decent amount of time and really have to dedicate yourself to the game to do this when you have other things like school involved. It is simply a rough life for a teenager to live when he has to go through the phsycological problems that poker creates such as massive downswings. How many teenagers do you think can really drop 2k in one night and still feel good about themselves in the morning? Not to many that I know of. I know I struggled through my downswings.

Just from you ranking Poker above family and even girls when you are a highschool student shows to most people that you don't have a healthy balance of poker in your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you talking about?

a half shitty poker player can easily make $30/huor on party mutlitabling.

if he plays 20 hours a week, about 3 huors a day, thats $600/week, 25,000/year

OP probally sucked at poker.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 18 and I am a freshman at Wash U. I used to 4-table $55s and just started 8 tabling the $33's.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My family is not a very strong unit like yours may be. Even girls? I speak with Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre when I quote, "We don't love dem hoes."

[ QUOTE ]
And by making it worthwhile I mean you must be pulling in a minumum of 25k a year atleast for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it should have to do with a yearly expectation. It being worthwhile is purely based on the hourly expectation that you have. As for a minimum of 25k, you must come from a rich family. My parents don't get me [censored], and even working at Papa John's was worthwhile for me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extreme case. You actually have to completely ignore school to get a D in a class. However, in my experience, I can get at least a B with minimal work. Also, it is highly unlikely that you will get your admission revoked unless you do not graduate.

[ QUOTE ]
How many teenagers do you think can really drop 2k in one night and still feel good about themselves in the morning?

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say to this is that maybe you should drop down to stakes that you feel comfortable playing.

[ QUOTE ]
you have to put in a decent amount of time and really have to dedicate yourself to the game to do this when you have other things like school involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that? Honestly, I think I could not play poker for several weeks and still play poker just as well. The great thing about playing poker is that you decide when you work, you don't have to "dedicate" yourself to the game to keep making money.

[ QUOTE ]
It is simply a rough life for a teenager to live when he has to go through the phsycological problems that poker creates such as massive downswings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right. You fail to mention how rough it is that if you make $20+/hr you can basically buy whatever you want and still keep accumulating money.

For me the decision was simple. Whenever my friends were doing something or wanted to do something, I would hang out with them. Whenever I was sitting alone at my parents' house I would play poker. This is what I mean by prioritizing.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:56 AM

Thanks for your input Awesemo. Your response really gave me a different perspective on playing poker.

When I play I always like to be improving. If I played poker and didn't read up alot on the site or the new books I would feel like I was doing myself a disservice by not applying myself to my fullest potential when a decent amount of money is on the line. This causes me to play excessively/ spend vast amounts of time involving poker. When this happens my life starts to change, something I don't like.

Therefore if I am going to play I am going to apply alot of time and energy and constantly be trying to improve. I just dont think I would have the restraint to kinda half ass my way through a session and grind out 30 bucks/ hour. If I know I have the potential to make more money I will devote my time towards that. I guess in a way this is good for me as a poker player but also bad for me in my real life.

That is why I am going to limit my play to where I will still have time to apply myself fully in poker and still have plenty of time to enjoy my socail life. The summer will be the perfect time for me to start pokering it up again and make some money to take away to college.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started playing when I was a senior in high school on partypoker. I have to say that I am surprised that you are quitting. I didn't find it a problem to balance poker and a social life, much like many kids in high school have part time jobs. In addition, I was able to use the money I made to basically do whatever I wanted. Personally, I can see myself being a lifetime poker player. Poker will allow me to take a low paying job such as a teacher while making most of my income from poker. As for your grades, I highly doubt that a college will not accept you based on your senior grades, especially your second semester senior grades. My opinion is that you should prioritize. My priorities are something like this, 1) friends 2) poker 3) school 4) family 5) girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are officially gay. The ONLY reason poker goes above the others in my case is because the rent depends on it. If it didn't, girls would definitely be much higher than 5th.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that you should prioritize. My priorities are something like this, 1) friends 2) poker 3) school 4) family 5) girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to lead a very lonely and sad life if these priorities remain unchanged.

Family should always be one.