Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Walking the Picket Line

On a seperate note, I notice most press coverage gives the union/strike a bad rap.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a seperate note, I notice most press coverage gives the union/strike a bad rap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense, they are causing 7 million people to have longer commutes.

Also because of this strike, the people that are getting hurt the most are restaurants, shops, and hotels. Most small restaurants and retail stores receive 20% or more of their business during the holiday season. This strike is destroying small businesses. The timing and selfishness of the MTA is amazing.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:22 PM

A lot fo jobs are necessary to society. That is why they are jobs. That doesn't mean we need to institute slavery to get it done.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot fo jobs are necessary to society. That is why they are jobs. That doesn't mean we need to institute slavery to get it done.

[/ QUOTE ]

your "slavery" reason does not fit in what I previously mentioned. You said the media was giving the union/strike a bad rap, I stated reasons why. Not argueing with the right for them to go on strike, but I stated the TIMING for the MTA to do this is a very poor selfish decision.
This has nothing to do with "slavery".
Old 12-21-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the TIMING for the MTA to do this is a very poor selfish decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? Seems smart to me. This puts a lot of pressure on the gov't to give in. Why should they not do the smartest thing and use the most leverage available?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This makes sense, they are causing 7 million people to have longer commutes.

Also because of this strike, the people that are getting hurt the most are restaurants, shops, and hotels. Most small restaurants and retail stores receive 20% or more of their business during the holiday season. This strike is destroying small businesses. The timing and selfishness of the MTA is amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems shrewd to me.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:02 AM

It is funny how liberal media usually fails to fully report all the details in union strikes. It is not enough to say a corporation or the MTA made this much of a profit last year, but also to show what average wages at different levels are for union members including all their benefits. Only then is there enough informtion to make judgements on wage fairness. But of course the reason such things generally aren't reported is that all the other blue collar workers who make far less would have little sympathy for the union's position.

The key element in this matter though is that public employees are rightly held to a different standard regarding strikes which can imperil people's lives and cause severe economic hardship for all other workers. The union is breaking the law pure and simple and deserves to be harshly treated for that alone.

But they are also forcing workers to walk in freezing tempartures or not get to work and lose pay during the holiday season. Shame on them and their selfishness.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Should doctors be forced to treat people if they don't want too?

Should a power plant employee be forced to work because people need power?

No. You can't force people to do anything. That's slavery. If someone doesn't want to work you can choose not to pay them. That is all. I suppose the MTA should hire goons with baseball bats to go down and bash in a few heads and force people back to work, like the strikes of old. Oh wait, threatening to harm/kill people if they don't work, SLAVERY.

The unions benefits and pay have been pretty widely covered. I read about them in the NYT. Do they cover the working conditions. There is a reason they get paid more then joe blow in McDonalds. You have to go into the pit, get under some train, breath in all sorts of god awful crap that [censored] up your lungs, lie there welding some [censored] in the most awful conditions. My grandfather used to come home from work covered from head to toe in black soot. He wouldn't let anyone touch him. It was so ingrained it was impossible to get out.

The health conditions are horrible. The work is horrible. THe conditions down in the tunnels are completely unsafe. But I haven't seen any cameras going down into the pit.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:30 PM

Despite what you say are bad working conditions, public employees should be forced to work. That is part of the deal that includes good pay and benefits and a job for life even if they are screwups.

And if their working conditions for that pay is really so bad for those poor stiffs, then give the jobs to those that would be more grateful and would work for far less money.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite what you say are bad working conditions, public employees should be forced to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your definition of forcing them to work is. Being forced to work and not having right to strike are two different things. Giving workers like this right to strike is insane. Anyone that doesn't show up for work should just be immediately replaced. It's that simple.

A few years ago, the firement in the town I lived in had right to strike put on a ballot. They were going door to door in uniform with some sob story asking people to vote to give them the benefits they deserved w/o telling these people that what they really wanted was the right to strike and just not show up for work when the person's house was burning down. It was insane. People are stupid.