Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: What is your worst kind of tilt?

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm tilting hard after a downswing, I'll sometimes catch myself settling for what I know is a coinflip in the early levels of a SNG or just making a dumb move in general. The kind of move you'd say "oh, that guy's tilting or he's a total donk". I usually have no problem stopping for the night after I do something stupid like this.

But, my worst kind of tilt is when I'm not on a terrible streak (6-8 OOTM for example) but still feeling a little down about my game, and catch myself not being able to pull the trigger on the bubble. This is the kind of tilt that I really hate. I feel like if I just can slide into the money I'll feel better about my B.R. It's not even like I need my B.R. for anything outside of poker, or that my life depends on it in anyway, I just get really protective of it and I know it hurts me in the long run.

I'm really working on stopping this after I catch myself doing it, but sometimes I'll keep playing which I know is hurting my ROI (amongst other things).

Feel free to make suggestions (even if I've heard them a million times before), or just share what your worst type of tilt is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know what you find out bc FWIW, I am the same way. My BR, this arbitrary number that I really have no "need" for (dont support myself off poker) really affects me. It dictates how I am going to feel the next day. If it goes up, its as though I place "stop loss" orders on it and will not play optimally for fear of dipping below some random baseline.

I guess I have no suggestions and just thought that maybe it helps to hear that others think similarly. One thing I can say though is this, the longer I play and more experience I get, the more all of these little idiosyncrasies start to go away. Its only maybe 4 months ago I really started to get a hold of not playing when I am tilting. I also have started to get better at noticing when I start playing too loose early on...these things need constant reenforcement and they eventually take hold. Just by acknowledging what you preceive as a problem with your metagame, you have already taken a huge step torwards conquering the issue.

My only other advice is something my doctor told me when I told him my elbow hurts when I swing my arm downward...he said "stop doing that then"...Or, I could just offer some advice I think gOOt would appreciate..."only play the gOOt cards and you go to 215s"

be goot

p
Old 11-11-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: What is your worst kind of tilt?

[ QUOTE ]
... my doctor told me when I told him my elbow hurts when I swing my arm downward...he said "stop doing that then"

[/ QUOTE ]

That must be the first lesson learned in med school:

Me: "It hurts when I do this..."
Doc: "Don't do this"